ADI vs. Internet Pricing

I don't have the specifics as of yet, however, when I was in Tallahassee on some legislative issues with a bill that the governor signed into law, internet sales questions came up. Sales tax was questioned and Florida does expect to receive sales tax on internet sales, according to a State representative.We will be looking closer at this now that the session is over. Maybe RLB will volunteer his time to have the Department of Revenue look at his business as a model. :o)

Reply to
Bob Worthy
Loading thread data ...

Contact some smaller distributors, they want the business. i usually get a better deal from my distributor than ADI. they are a small outfit but they always come through.

Reply to
Tommy

It's not a set of federal regulations. A US Supreme Court decision in Quill v. North Dakota established that states cannot force a company located outside their borders to collect sales taxes on their behalf unless the company has "nexus" (a physical presence) within the taxing state.

Technically, it only prohibits states from forcing out of state merchants to collect on their behalf. A number of states can require their citizens to report and pay sales tax on things bought over the Internet or otherwise. Enforcement is between the state and its citizens -- the merchant is under no obligation to assist the states in any way.

Exactly. The same is done by CT, FL and several others.

Although the "no sales tax advantage" clearly benefits online merchants like me, I disagree with you on this one, Bob. The states have every right to collect sales tax from their citizens. If their citizens wish otherwise they can vote in new legislators. Unless and until they do, they'll be legally obligated to pay their own sales taxes but online vendors like me are not required to assist them in doing so.

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In California and I suspect many other states, you are required to pay a use tax on products purchased in other states/countries if the sales tax isn't collected by the seller. The onus being on the buyer to pay the tax.

formatting link
I believe California also is mining the information from the customs declaration forms collected at airports/ports from its residents returning from overseas trips.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

I agree. ADI is not interrested in small dealers, at least in San Diego. js

Reply to
alarman

It's not just ADI. Everybody wants to skim the cream. The extreme examples of this are the manufacturers like DMP and Bosch, who won't even sell to dealers without a guaranteed level of purchases. Distributors do something similar with pricing tiers, it's just not quite so blatant.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.