Ademco Vista15P & 5192SD smoke detectors

All,

I just installed an Ademco Vista15P in my home. The intrusion zones 2 through 5 are working with the motion sensors and are not a problem. However, I have two questions...

1. Is there a compatible panic switch for this panel ? The old Shack brand switch throws the alarm on this panel (I have zone 6 wired as panic).

1. The major issue I have... the two 5192SD two-wire smoke detectors I wired in series on zone 1 (with 2000 ohm EOL resistor on the low side as diagrammed in the manual) keep showing up with fault. I removed the 5192s and placed an EOL across zone 1, power cycled the panel and no faults were reported... so the circuit at the panel should be okay. I wired up only ONE 5192 with an EOL, power cycled panel, and I get a fault report again.

The 5192 DIP switches have not been changed from factory.. but the manual doesn't say what kind of addressing to use... SHOULD I USE THE DIP addressing, if so.. any idea what I should set the DIPS to ? Or is there something else I should be looking at here? I double-checked the wiring and pos & neg are as they should be. I tested the EOL and it is fine when compared to the rest... ~ 1.9Kohms

Thanx, Da_Cheeze

Reply to
dacheeze1701
Loading thread data ...

5192sd are not compatable with this panel they are for addressable panels vista 40 and higher

any normally open panic switch wired paralel across zone 6 with resistor on end will work with system or normally closed switch in series.

Reply to
nick markowitz

There ya go with that rocket science stuff again.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

He's obviously concluded that reading the manual is something only alarm technicians do... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Everyone i work with wonders why I am such a good trouble shooter and all i do is read the manuals and other techstuff in magazines . of course it does not hurt to have all the schooling i have also.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I've always loved the concept of putting multiple panic buttons in series throughout a building...ok everyone; let's panic....right...now!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ge

I know a guy who use to install open circuit window foil he would install first strip then apply scotch tape and leave open a gap every so many inches and then put the 2nd layer on as crazy as it sounds it actually worked like the preasure pads we ut on stairs. the old original radio shack alarms which were a bell in a box used a series panic switch but only problem was system had to be armed for it to work lot of crazy stuff i have seen in 30+ years.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I like that! Kind of acts as a double check against your random prankster... :)

Reply to
Robert Neville

sage

Talk about obsurd I just had a dealer call and ask me to help him figre out how to put a 6 volt rechargable battery pack and cut off timer for bell on an ademco 221 he installed back in 70's I am not kidding. when i explained to him he could by a new panel and keypad and install it cheaper than doing the conversion he just decide to do the conversion.any how. im not kidding.

Reply to
nick markowitz

oye!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

did a remodel (extensive one) about a year ago where the old installing company had series the relays of THREE motion detectors...hmmmm some kinda of manual cross-zoning pet avoidance system?!...problem was you had to stand JUST right in a small area in front of the refrigerator to trip the motions...hmmm a dietary deterrant?

well...this is true and weird and stupid.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Really? I thought that was something only online dealers do... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Nick,

If the 5192sd's aren't then what kind of smoke detector is ? The dealer told me they would work with this panel... they also told me to try "wiring the smokes in parallel with an EOL across the last detector" whatever that means... how do you have a last detector in a parallel circuit ?

As for the panic... I only have one in the master bed upstairs. So would I wire it up in parallel with the EOL or in series with the EOL at the panel ?

Thanx, Da_Cheeze

Reply to
dacheeze1701

I am truly sorry, but for some reason feel compelled to help you.

The intrusion zones 2

I'm not a big panic button fan, if you have a phone handy, just dial

911, or is this something they stopped teaching in grade school? (oops, I just dated myself.) 911 is a much quicker and prefered method. The cops will have realtime audio from the site to base a response on.

I generally install them commercially for Banks, Money counting rooms and residentially for the paranoid or elderly who really should be in a care facility for various reasons.

It looks like the post by Mr. Nick Markowitz has addressed this issue very well. You may want to purchase a few System Sensor 2WB or 4WB smokes instead of those 5192's. I think they will work much nicer. You may want to check the paperwork that came with the panel to see what Ademco (Again I'm soo sorry) lists as compatible devices for future additions to the system. As far as the security devices go; you can usually configure a normally open or normally closed device to any zone, it is just recommended to have one device on each zone, in order to simplify troubleshooting. Just remember to assign the right circuit configuration based on the zone programming and you will do fine.

Your almost there, just take the time to study the documentation.

Reply to
karljacoboski

Nope...he toldja wrong.

I'd go with two wire smokes like System Sensor 2W-B rather than 4 wire smokes...that way you don't have to figure out how to hook up supervision relay. There are other brands of two wire smokes that can be used as well, but NONE of the 5192 smokes will work with Vista 15P

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.