Ademco Vista Programming

Bass could just as easily have emailed the information to the OP instead of posting the password and user login in a public forum.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Then I take it you have no problems with people publicly posting logins to secure websites then? Ask him why he doesn't post Napco or DSC's site logins

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I said I don't have enough information to refute or support Bass' logic for doing so. I didn't post the login and said previously I would choose not to do it.

I don't know that he does or doesn't post those logins. I have not been here long enough to know. I suspect that if Bass doesn't post the logins to those other sites like Napco or DSC it may be because those sites have individual web login user names rather than common ones, and perhaps individual logins that get posted may get removed. I suspect you may know the answer already so why not just tell us?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Yep. And their actions against RLB were posted here earlier this year.

With conditions

They won't do anything about his misuse of the resources granted to him unless Honeywell is somehow damaged. But they do have their eye one him as do some of the other majors.

This is probably true. There are those that sell parts, site unseen, and there are those that sell secuirty. I think those that sell security see the downside to some of RLB's actions and don't agree with it, to the point that they don't even agree to disagree. They are very vocal, possibly to protect other readers that these actions are possible wrong and could be damaging.

It

I think he has demonstrated that he doesn't, but that is his prerogative.

That is where he screwed up earlier. He doesn't believe he needs it. He got caught and served with cease and desists on some things.

And probably everyone else. But don't try to tell him anything because he refuses to listen. He holds himself out to be on a much higher level and smarter than the "primates" that participate in this group.

Didn't I just mention something about parts sellers?

It is to sell parts and to lower his "800" bill. His customer service history is well documented. He wants the point of sale and not necessarily all the small talk that goes along with it. He gives them access, which takes away alot of leg work on his part. Do you really think that an online business wants all the shoppers to take up their time with "let me look at all that is on the market before I make a decision". I know how this works having a travel agency. People will call wanting to plan a cruise. The agents will ask them where to and when. They don't have a clue. "Find out about all the Caribbean and Mediterranean for next summer". Well that is about two hundred different possibilities. We don't have time for that and prices change all the time. We send them the brochures, let them do the homework and narrow it down. Then we spend the time with them planning their vacation. I am sure RLB is doing the same thing. What we don't do, is give them the number directly into the cruise line admin department with our pass word. This is reserved for agents. Similar situation without the security issue. Not that access to Honeywell's website is any kind of a security breach but other information that has been released to the general public on this forum , with no regard for its sensitivity, could be.

:o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yep.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What information do you need? He posted on how to get into a secure website

hello?

Then next time don't ask why RLB get shit thrown at him, it appears you really don't want to know

He doesn't post anyone else because Ademco put a bug up his ass a few years ago, he likes Napco which is why he won't post that login

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm thinking because it would be his User Name & Password the whole world would be using... Honeywell needs to assign each WebTech user his/her own password...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Perhaps but thats hardly the point, numb-nuts shouldn't have posted it in the first place. I have a feeling if Honeywell did go to individual logins he'd figure out a way to post it anyway. He doesn't like Ademco and he will not post logins to companies he does like such as Napco

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Bass posted a login to a password protected web site. I guess it is acurate to say it is secure because it uses https instead of just http. It seems that Honeywell has not done much to secure the site beyond that. If Honeywell would use the https to a little higher standard on the login side of things this would not be an issue to discuss. If Honeywell's effort is that feeble I can't get too excited about Bass' posting.

Reply to
Roland Moore

You're assuming they actually give a rat's bunda who views their free files. They don't.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have never read a post where Bass says he doesn't like Ademco. But if he really doesn't like Ademco products, why does he sell it? If he doesn't like Ademco (Honeywell) because of the product itself and not what the company did to him to make him mad at them, then that shows he has some good sense in my book. Have you ever programed a Vista 250 FB with over 200 points? Go fault a zone and count how long it takes to trip the panel or worse yet show at the keypad. Even the factory boys warn you (privately of course) not to get near 200 points (on a panel that says it has 250 points AND YOU PAY FOR

250). And you'd better use serial (not dip switch) to boot on the polling modules. That is just the tip of the iceburg. How about the access products? What good is the N1000II? Stuffed a matchbook cover under a lithium battery at some odd hour of the morning? Then you too have installed an N100II. An 8 volt battery mounted on the panel DOOR of all places! How about any of the NStar panels? Or the software that runs either panel. WinPAK in any version is terrible. How many all nighters have you pulled in a big multistory trying to find the bad panel that pulls down the whole sorry 20ma comm loop. Are you kidding me about Ademco? I have seen guys pull working Ademco panels just to take them out for target practice. For real! Any panel can be installed improperly. Why increase that chance by having goofy designs, fake product claims, poor documentation and support. Frankly in the scheme of things it is hard for me to get excited about Bass' posting showing Honeywell doing another stupid thing by not securing their site. If you are trying to interest me in blaming Bass for Honeywell's laziness and stupidity I can say that is not what I choose to do.
Reply to
Roland Moore

And your approach is to diparage alarm installation companies and abuse people in the process.

Yep, and you've got exactly what you "needed" all along.

therefore quite reasonable (IMO) that we make different choices in this regard.

And your choice is to scorn the installation trade.

I do. His "cancer" isn't the physical type.

You're right. The CANCER is YOU!

That's

room for hatred.

You have no room for it because everyone else that you come in contact with has so much of it for you, there isn't any left. But you ought to try it. It's really great to see someone like you get so much of what you deserve.

Yep and I'm gonna just keep right on sayin it till you're in your grave.

Reply to
Jim

Years ago I didn't like their panels. I never liked their old 5700 series wireless. Over time they have improved and I've learned more. Now they're a significant part of my business.

I have nothing against Ademco / Honeywell. I do more business with Honeywell than most of these guys put together.

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

It's just a red herring. These guys couldn't care less about Honeywell's password. It's just an excuse to try to pick another fight.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

So you use that method to identify a secure website? I guess if it was http then it's okay to post logins?

I get it, it's Honeywell's fault RLB did it...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Remember you were the one who said you haven't been here very long

Same reason he sells carpet snakes, it's inventory of the distributor he uses

He doesn't know enough about the product to know if it's good or bad

Sure you have

Of course! therefore it's okay then to post any proprietary information available, you two deserve each other

As I said before, you either missed what Jim said or chose to gloss over it, its obvious now the latter is the case

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If that were the case they wouldn't have a login

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Reply to
Roland Moore

What actions did Honeywell take against Bass?

Reply to
FIRETEK

I hardly think a "user fee" is "selling something "which is not his to sell".

Reply to
FIRETEK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.