Ademco Vista Programming

I'm thinking of upgrading my Vista-20P to a 128BP for two reasons: 1. advantages of a polling loop system 2. Be able to name my outputs for x-10 devices.

My question is around Compass - is it worth using? Do I need a CIA Modem or can I use a null-modem cable and directly connect with a laptop?

Thanks.

Rob

Reply to
Robert.B.Batta
Loading thread data ...

You can use a laptop for direct connect but there is one extra part you have to purchase. Here is some information (below) from the Honeywell web site. The 4100SM Serial Interface Module can be used as any of the following:

. A direct-wire downloading device that is used in conjunction with the Compass downloading software to program compatible control panels without having to use a modem or telephone line. This is done by either connecting the 4100SM to the serial port of a PC or to a GSM communicating unit. . An interface device that is used to connect a serial printer or a PC using the Honeywell Navigator Reporter software to control panels that feature event logging with printer output capabilities. . An interface device that is used to connect a control panel to 3rd party

Reply to
Roland Moore

Yes. Here's a link.

formatting link
User: honeywell Pass: support99

You can use either the CIA modem or the 4100SM serial interface module.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks a lot !

Rob

Robert L Bass wrote:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Robert.B.Batta

Hey Roland,

Here's a good example of what kind of asshole Bass is.

Reply to
Jim

Your doing it again robert

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: brydnaUt6pDu6u7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Petem

You're most welcome.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

is rlb talking to himself?

Reply to
Don

snip

I'm glad I don't use ademco! Hey Jim, what can I put on the back of a aiphone door station terminals to protect them from msoisture? 2 screw & plate terminals and 22-2 wire going in a pool area and lockerrrom. custoemr said rustoleum. what u use on the boat?

Reply to
Don

WD-40 is what some boat builders recommend to keep moisture away from electrical terminals, but it probably won't last more than a few months. There are also various types of grease, almost any of which will keep moisture out.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

When I do a system on a boat, if the device isn't made for marine use I usually take it apart and spray the PC board (front, back, all over with a couple of coats) with a moisture protectant that I get at the local electronics supply house. ( I don't remember the brand) I suppose, in a pinch, you could use some kind of spray varnish too. Then, when putting it back together, I usually silicone all any enclosure openings so that everything inside any containment isn't exposed to the atmosphere. Lastly, if there are any exposed wire connections, I use silicone or there's some rubberized electrical sealant that you can get at a Marine store to cover the connections. Dip the screws in sealant as you reassmeble the unit. It's a real pain to have to take apart or replace, but you'll find that it's going to last far longer than it would otherwise.

I'm not familiar with Aiphone products, but if you're spraying anything inside it, be carefull not to spray the speaker coil. It's gotta move. If you can get at the front of the speaker and remove it, I'd try to cement a thin piece of plastic or mylar or something between the speaker and the grill, to keep the moisture away from the speaker cone and coil too. Bare magnets have a way of corroding quickly if they aren't coated. And speaker magnets aren't. The sound should transfer through the plastic ok.

Moisture in the air by salt water has that little extra ingredient that invites electrolysis. You know that green gook that accumulates around your car battery terminals? Well you can find that on any electrical connection on a boat that has been exposed to the salt air or moisture. That's why all large metal objects on boats are bonded together, to help eliminate electrolysis. That's also why the local alarm companys who say they can do boat alarms, do poor jobs. They just don't have the experience of being a boater to know that they can't just use standard parts, connections, wire and protocols. I was just talking to a customer that I did a boat alarm for about 20 years ago. I'd forgotten all about it. He sold the boat but is still in touch with the new owner. It's still working !!!!! Damn ..... I'm good!

Reply to
Jim

electrical terminals, but it probably won't last more than a

keep moisture out.

Yeah, sure.

Another thing you don't know anything about.

Reply to
Jim

This end user seemed to know a lot about the names of the equipment that most users would not. Knowing the name of the downloading software for one and the name of the modem for another makes me think this end user more savvy than most. I think he will need all he has going for him right away because the first step of getting the Compass software going and talking to a Vista 128FB with a 4100SN is not a strainght forward hook up. I have had a lot of trouble especially when you have to use a serial to USB adapter. If someone had a Vista 20P and still wanted to "upgrade" to another Vista product I think they should already know what they're in for. Programing relays in the Vista 128FB like the 4204 or 4101SN can be a time consuming pain. Even though this guy isn't doing fancy elevator realys or custom relay function, automation events can be cruel in the ways they refuse to work sometimes. There are no real right or wrong ways to program some of these events and relays, so it adds to the confusion when there are so many ways to get to the same end result. I hope someone is just as forthcoming with the proper local if not national tech support phone numbers for this guy to use, once he gets stuck, as they were with the other web information. I hope he can convince someone at the other end to talk to him. I guess that is where the real difference in DIY and the real thank you comes in. I know the local trainer and he gets stuck on some of these relay configurations and has to call for support himself. If working with the product daily and teaching it for a living doesn't get you the full understanding I'd say that proves it isn't that simple sometimes. I'd suggest he consider using a 4297 so if there is a short on the polling loop the whole thing doesn't crash and fall off line. It is always fun to start to see dozens of zones showing faults because a small wiring problem on an upstream polling loop wire.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

When necessary I do a 3-way with the client and tech support. It's not all that difficult, though. I'd say those types of calls are about a once-a-month event. That is fortunate since wait times can be annoying.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think you either missed the point of what Jim said or are avoiding it entirely

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I am not avoiding it. It seems that most everyone here has been talking to Bass or about Bass for along time and to date nothing has seemed to influence him one way or another. Me adding my 2 cents is unlikely to make any difference. I took note of Jim's comments. Agreeing with Jim on one point doesn't take me down the road to wishing any harm on Bass. Having just buried my friend from a slow terrible unfair death last week I see no reason to support or condemn any side here. I have no ability to control others in any way and no desire to. It is enough for me to tend to the details of my own life. If Bass wants to know what I think of his methods I suspect he will ask me. If Jim wants to know I can say it is something I would not choose to do.

Reply to
Roland Moore

or about Bass for along time and to date nothing

unlikely to make any difference. I took note of Jim's

wishing any harm on Bass. Having just buried my friend

condemn any side here. I have no ability to control

of my own life. If Bass wants to know what I think

something I would not choose to do.

We all have different approaches to this business, Roland. I give DIY clients access to all the manuals they need *because* they need them. You service your own installations so your clients don't need them. It is therefore quite reasonable (IMO) that we make different choices in this regard.

Leuck is just trying to stir up more trouble. Jiminex has more problems than I do. His "cancer" isn't the physical type. That's sad actually. As I've said before, I don't like him (or Leuck) but I have no room for hatred.

'Nuff said?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That wasn't what I was saying, Jim said what he said because RLB for the upteenth time public posted the login to Honeywell's secure website. You must have missed it

I seriously doubt anyone wishes harm on RLB, certainly not me

Reply to
Mark Leuck

to Bass or about Bass for along time and to date nothing

unlikely to make any difference. I took note of Jim's

wishing any harm on Bass. Having just buried my friend

condemn any side here. I have no ability to control

details of my own life. If Bass wants to know what I think

it is something I would not choose to do.

clients access to all the manuals they need *because* they

them. It is therefore quite reasonable (IMO) that we make

than I do. His "cancer" isn't the physical type. That's

no room for hatred.

You started to trouble posting access codes to secure websites, now you choose to blame others because they reacted.

Anything for a buck

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Some manufacturers like Bosch and Electronic Lines don't seem to have any security on their web sites. Anyone can see everything. Some like Napco, Honeywell, DMP, and Paradox for example have various levels of security for signing into their site. Bass says that purchasers of DIY need access to the manufacturer's web site the same way a dealer would need site access to aid in installation of their own equipment. Since I have no experience in the DIY market I am in no position to refute or support that notion. My thought is that certain panels may be easy enough for a DIY to program. The Honeywell Vista 128FB as well as many others would not be on my list of panels that a DIY person should attempt to program. I don't know how Honeywell feels about Bass posting the login to their site. It might be interesting to see what their official position is on the subject. Has anyone asked? Honeywell cetainly doesn't mind it enought to stop selling to Bass it seems. If Honeywell is taking money from Bass aren't their resources available to him as a customer of Honeywell? If Honeywell were truly worried about unauthorized web site access they could use Microsoft WebTS and/or an individual user name and password logins instead of a common login. In the end who answers the question as to whether or not Bass is responsible to protect Honeywell's interests in limiting access to their web site, or even if that is something that Honeywell actually cares about. How much responsibility one puts on Bass in any case seems to me to be an individual matter. In this regard Honeywell is not left without recourse and can chose to choke down access to their site when they decide it is necessary. It seems to me if Bass were truly interested in what anyone else thought he would merely copy wholesale the web sites of the equipment manufacturers he sold and incorporate it (with permission) in a web site of his own. Bass could then lock his own site down in a more aggressive fashion (so no one here would see it) and use exclusive access to his site as a sales tool for the DIY folks he sells to. I don't know anything about the DIY market, but I would think the DIY web FAQ would not be the same as a regular dealer web FAQ. I am not trying to tell Bass how to run his business, just stating what makes sense to me. Honeywell itself is not without its own critics, like Napco, that think that selling to dealers and competing with dealers at the same time is unethical. Seems like one would have to make his or her own judgements about how ethical or unethical Bass is compared to Honeywell and which do you wish to support. Honeywell is a $30 billion company. As a pratical matter even if Bass hated Honeywell as much as some who post here seem to hate Bass, I doubt he could think of any way to damage Honeywell. Bass states that the reason he posts the login is to help his customers, Bass doesn't mention any interest in hurting Honeywell. I don't think Honeywell is too concerned about Bass or anyone else that posts here having any real impact on that $30 billion figure.

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message news:rMWdnYqR0PUbuevYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.