Ademco Vista 15

Hi,

I have an Ademco Vista 15 alarm system installed in my house. However, I seem to be having some minor problems with the system, which I'm sure have a solution, however, not that I've been able to figure out.

The first problem, which is the 'most critical', we don't subscribe to a phone line here. (We also don't subscribe to monitoring). We do however subscribe to Dry DSL (internet over the phone line). This means our phone line has a dialtone, however, any phone number which is dialed, results in a fast busy signal. This seems to confuse the system, thus causing it to attempt to dial repeatedly. Since a RJ31X jack has been used, this disconnects all the phones in the house, including the internet, thus our internet is continously dropping offline. I have unplugged the system from the RJ31X jack, which solves that problem, however, the alarm system is then displaying "FC" on the 6128 fixed-word keypads. Also, at random time frames, the keypads start beeping for no reason until the code is typed in, followed by the "Off" button to turn the system off.. This only happens with the phone line disconnected, even though the system is not armed.

In reading the "Installation and Setup Guide" I noticed there was a setting to disable the phone line monitor ( *92 0). However, apparently these settings can only be accessed using the "System Installer Code" which I do not know. Is there a way to reset this code back to the defaults? Also, apparently the programming requires a "2 line alpha keypad" (6139) which I do not own. Is there a way to order one of these? And if so, roughly how much should they cost? Or, better yet, is there a way to program the system via computer, through, say, a serial cable?

Also, I'm unsure if the installer code is the default code, or some other code, so is there a way to check this without purchasing the "2 line alpha keypad" ?

Finally, as a long term project, I'd like to be able to link the system to my computer, through, ideally a serial cable, and write my own software to do the monitoring, and allow specific usercodes to disable specific zones, etc. I was wondering if there was any interface on the system that would allow me to hookup a cable, and monitor the various events such as users disarming the system or zone's being open, etc. and, if so, what type of cable would be required to make the connection or, is there a pinout of somesort so I could make my own cable?

I suppose failing an output that would allow me to connect to the computer, I may just end up removing the Vista-15 panel, and connect the various detection devices directly to serial/parallel port, however, I'd like to avoid this.

I appreciate your time, and look forward to any responses. I've recapped the questions in point form below to make replying a little easier. Thanks.

- How to disable "Phone Line Monitor"

- How to reset "System Installer code", or check if code is still default, using the 6128 fixed-word keypad

- Where to order "2 line alpha keypad" (Part 6139) or compatible, and approximate price?

- Is it possible to connect to the system via computer, through, serial cable, or any other cable?

- If possible to connect to computer, and, if so, what type of cable, or a pinout of somesort to make my own cable?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Tim
Loading thread data ...

You can get into basic programming without a 6139 - you just can't easily program zones.

It sounds like your panel is trying to dial out, was it monitored previiously?

If you have the programming guide you want to diable CS dialer number(s) *41 primary * 42 secondary.

If your panel is not locked out of programming;

Disconnect battery Disconnect one lead of the power transformer for a few seconds, the put it back under the screw and run to the nearest keypad and push * & # at the same time (you have less than a minute to do this). If your panel is NOT locked 20 will be displayed in the keypad display. You can read what the installer code is by pushing #20 at this point OR you when the 20 is display you can change it to any 4 digit code you want.

Now if you've gotten this far... push *41* and you'll hear a beep, then *42* and you'll hear a beep..that wipes out dialing attempts.

if you want to see if phone line monitor is enabled hit #92 anything other than a 0 (may display 15) means something is programmed so do *92* should zero it out.

to exit programming hit *99

don't forget to reconnect the battery - which you could do at anytime after reconnecting the power wire.

good luck.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You don't need a 6139 or 6160 to do basic changes, it's really for zone programming where you need it.

First power the system down completely (AC and Batt.) Power system back up. Go to the keypad and hold * and # together within 50 seconds you're now in program mode

Change installer code:

*20 + new 4 digit code

We will disable the TLM AND the cental station info:

Clear primary phone number *41* clear secondary phone (just in case) *42* clear account number *43* clear account number 2 *44* Disable TLM *92 + 0

Exit programming *99

Anywhere online *except* Bass Burglar Alarms. He's a rotten crook.

You can connect to the system via Compass software, but it's only for programming and remote operation. A special modem is required, and it's really not worth the effort for an end-user. The software is supposed to be for installers only.

NOTE: Enter programming from now on by typing + 800

-Graham

Reply to
G. Morgan

Crash Gordon, G. Morgan,

Thanks for your replies, after following the instructions outlined, my alarm system is no longer dialing out, and disconnecting my internet. I've also changed the security code to something I know. Thanks!

Reply to
Tim

yer welcome

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No problem..

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hrm, I'm unsure if this is the same problem, or another unrelated problem, however, twice last night I was awoken by the alarm beeping at me. I did however notice that pressing ANY key (doesn't need the code to be typed in) will stop the beeping. I also noticed the word "BAT" is now lit up on the display, thus I believe the battery is probably failing, and the beeping is it's way of indicating that to me. Also, just checked the user manual, and rapid keypad beeping indicates, among other things, a low battery. (The other options do not apply to me.) Since I have no intentions of replacing the battery (I'm planning to use the alarm system more as a 'toy' for at least the immediate future, thus it really doesn't matter if there is no battery backup), is there a way to disable the beeping low-battery alert?

The manual simply says to press "Off" (1) to turn it off, however, that only turns it off for the time being, a few hours later, it's doing the job of my alarm clock again, but earlier than I'd like. :)

Thanks again.

Reply to
Tim

The battery is part of the system, it needs to be there and it needs to be in good shape. Unless you intend on getting up in the middle of the night repeatedly you'll need to replace the battery. Or, of course, just power the system down. The panel may act goofy if you don't have a good battery in it...for instance; you may arm the system and go out, when you get back you may not be able to disarm the system.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Did you hook the battery back up correctly when you re-installed it? Red- to red black to black, make sure the connections are solid.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Careful G..you'll be reading it in RLB's highly praised Tech Tips.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Highly praised by whom?

Reply to
G. Morgan

RBL, and his thousands of newly found friends, who else? :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.