Ademco:PanelDumpsCentralStation

It sounds as though the central station is planning to enter the reporting data for the gentleman. That would obviate the need for him to know the CS format or phone number.

From what the gentleman posted originally, the problem might just be a wrong call-back number. That would be simple to fix. If this is the case he's only a few steps away from completion. He certainly doesn't need an alarm company to do that for him. Furthermore, I doubt he'll find a local alarm company that will program the system for monitoring without locking him out of programming. If they do that (and there's no way he will know if they intend doing so until it's too late) then he will be unable to service his own system -- one of the primary reasons most DIYers want to get away from alarm companies.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Just an assumption on my part due to "I am up against a deadline from my insurer to have this system monitored." statement in the OP - since most residential insurer's don't have that requirement. We all know the 50P is only rated for commercial burg, not fire. Maybe it is residential...but 12 x

4 wire smokes leads me to think a pretty darn big house/apt/loft...in NYC? Welp anyway...good luck to the OP.

Hope he supervises those smokes properly.

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I was just gonna say the same...more like he's acting as owner builder which there's nothing wrong with...thing is to know when you can do something and when you can't/shouldn't.

| > Don't be too certain, Crash. I have lots of DIY clients who install their | > own commercial fire alarms. I recently won an account in Dade County away | > from ADT and Simplex (I think it was Simplex). There were three | > buildings. Both wanted six figures for the job plus major monthly fees. | >

| > The client paid ~$17,000 for materials, hired an electrician to do the | > installation for another ~$25,000 and saved over $60,000. Not bad. They | > hired a local alarm company to do periodic tests and inspections. | >

| > -- | >

| > Regards, | > Robert L Bass | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The password is wrong and the panel will hang up every time.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

With the Vista50P, you have to do it manually.

Location 32 is the Account number (enter 15 15 15 15) Location 35 is the call back number Location 36 is the CSID (enter 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15) Location 37 enables download (enter 11011111) last 2 digits enable upload & download Location 153 to disable call back (enter 0)

When you call the panel select first time communication with default account number, no call back. This way you are guaranteed to get into the panel. Once you are connected to the panel, upload all data, make your changes, then download to panel. Compass will automatically insert the proper account number.

I suggest you select Ademco Contact ID as the format. Also on the bottom of the screen, Compass can insert all the default Contact ID codes automatically. This is handy and will save you some time. You still however must enable signals like Low Battery, Tests, Cancel, Exit Error, etc...its all on one screen.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Don't be too certain, Crash. I have lots of DIY clients who install their own commercial fire alarms. I recently won an account in Dade County away from ADT and Simplex (I think it was Simplex). There were three buildings. Both wanted six figures for the job plus major monthly fees.

The client paid ~$17,000 for materials, hired an electrician to do the installation for another ~$25,000 and saved over $60,000. Not bad. They hired a local alarm company to do periodic tests and inspections.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Have the panel call you (installer code # 1). If the panel version is incorret, it will tell you exactly what panel you have after it disconnects. I use this feature all the time for unknown panel types. If it is an ADT or First Alert version, it will tell you so.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Welp its not line voltage. I dunno how to measure or fix "noise" that I can't hear though.

| >

| > | > The only thing I can figure is that it's on a podunk baby phone co. | > system | > | > out in the boonies - but even that doesn't make too much sense cause | > I've | > | > talked to other panels in the same area without a problem. | > | | > | By chance is it a 15P v1? | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Only reason why I brought it up was maybe it had the time/date/downloader problem of the v1. I can't say I've ever had a problem connecting to any P panel like you describe although it does sound like a phone problem.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yawn, cast your bait elsewhere.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

I had a customer order a Vista-128FB system from me earlier this year. He was installing his own fire/burg system in Florida. The local AHJ at first told him he could not do the work. I printed and faxed to the customer and the AHJ a copy of the state law which clearly states that an owner in this gentleman's situation can indeed do his own fire alarm system. After reveiwing the schedule of protection, all component listing information, battery calculations, etc., the AHJ signed off on the permit.

When the project was done the AHJ asked for a couple of minor changes -- one pull station was too far from the exit door and the client hadn't installed a strobe in one bathroom (the part was supplied but he forgot to wire for it). After those things were corrected the AHJ issued a C.O. Because this particular system included extensive burg and fire protection the client saved better than $10K by doing the job himself. It took him nearly four sdays to do the job but I didn't get the impression that his business was earning him $2500+ per day so I guess he made out OK.

If L is referring to my comments regarding the Dade County project for which I provided the hardware, I didn't exactly consider that one a DIY job either. However, I've sold lots of commercial fire alarm systems to companies who were unwilling to pay the exhorbitant rates alarm contractors wanted to do the job. Most have their own staff do the installation. Sometimes an on-site electrician does the job but that also isn't exactly DIY. Other times a technically competent staff person or even an owner with a penchant for DIY projects will do the installation.

Due to changes in California law, we've been seeing a lot of commercial fire alarm system orders for day care centers lately. They don't usually need a huge system because the properties are rarely very large. The installation is often bid by one or more alarm contractors at $6,000 or more. The parts rarely cost even $2K from my online store. Most small day-care centers are not well-off. The savings from DIY can be a real help to them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Here we go again!!

So much for "DIY"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

What bait...what are you talking about?

| > If L is referring to my comments regarding the Dade County project for | > which I provided the hardware, I didn't exactly consider that one a DIY | > job either. However, I've sold lots of commercial fire alarm systems to | > companies who were unwilling to pay the exhorbitant rates alarm | > contractors wanted to do the job. Most have their own staff do the | > installation. Sometimes an on-site electrician does the job but that also | > isn't exactly DIY. Other times a technically competent staff person or | > even an owner with a penchant for DIY projects will do the installation. | >

| > Due to changes in California law, we've been seeing a lot of commercial | > fire alarm system orders for day care centers lately. They don't usually | > need a huge system because the properties are rarely very large. The | > installation is often bid by one or more alarm contractors at $6,000 or | > more. The parts rarely cost even $2K from my online store. Most small | > day-care centers are not well-off. The savings from DIY can be a real | > help to them. | >

| > -- | >

| > Regards, | > Robert L Bass | >

| > BTW, I usually advise the client to have a licensed alarm tech or | > electrician inspect and test the system due to the risks involved in | > commercial fire, particularly where children are involved. | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

RLB is bored, he is looking to stir up an argument regarding the DIY installation of fire alarms, he clearly knows little to nothing regarding the law in California as it pertains to licensing and the installation of fire alarms. He is looking for nothing more than to stir the pot. Thats my opinion, yours and others may differ and thats OK too

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

oh,,I thought you were saying I was baiting...nevermind.

| >

| >

| > | > If L is referring to my comments regarding the Dade County project for | > | > which I provided the hardware, I didn't exactly consider that one a | > DIY | > | > job either. However, I've sold lots of commercial fire alarm systems | > to | > | > companies who were unwilling to pay the exhorbitant rates alarm | > | > contractors wanted to do the job. Most have their own staff do the | > | > installation. Sometimes an on-site electrician does the job but that | > also | > | > isn't exactly DIY. Other times a technically competent staff person | > or | > | > even an owner with a penchant for DIY projects will do the | > installation. | > | >

| > | > Due to changes in California law, we've been seeing a lot of | > commercial | > | > fire alarm system orders for day care centers lately. They don't | > usually | > | > need a huge system because the properties are rarely very large. The | > | > installation is often bid by one or more alarm contractors at $6,000 | > or | > | > more. The parts rarely cost even $2K from my online store. Most | > small | > | > day-care centers are not well-off. The savings from DIY can be a real | > | > help to them. | > | >

| > | > -- | > | >

| > | > Regards, | > | > Robert L Bass | > | >

| > | > BTW, I usually advise the client to have a licensed alarm tech or | > | > electrician inspect and test the system due to the risks involved in | > | > commercial fire, particularly where children are involved. | > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I agree and he obviouly knows little to nothing regarding Florida law, as he so agressively argues his superior knowledge, and the AHJ's policys in Dade County. His provided hardware in Dade County is probably sitting on a shelf. His DIY client wouldn't be able to get through the plan review.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

we've been seeing a lot of

When was the last time you had to get a set of drawings done and stamped, signed and sealed by an engineer? Have any idea what that cost? Anything over $5,000 (value of system) has to be signed and sealed or the fire plan review depts won't except your permit appl. Wanta lie about the value of the job. You might call the installation world full of primates, but these guys aren't, they know what the value of a job is and the amount on the permit better equal that of the contract. Some cities require a notorized copy of the contract to be submitted with the permit application. Out of curiosity, what would you estimate labor at for a small day care center that meets all of the codes for occupancy, square foot per person, cooking, classroom, laundry, emergency exits, bathrooms, and ADA, did I forget anything. Oh, is the building sprinkled?

Most

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Goofus & Gallant :-)

Actually, I try not to figure it out, at first all the bickering annoyed me, now when I see who's posting back and forth toward the bottom of threads I don't even go down there to read them unless somehow once of my posts got mixed in.

Some of the bickering is entertaining most not. I prefer to talk tech stuff and have some yuks. I hear enough freeking bickering between my teenage daughter and my wife to make my head explode...I come here to escape.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

After all this time haven't you figured it out yet? Its the old "Goofus & Gallant" scenario

RLB never says anything bad about DIY'ers (Gallant), they always do the right thing, always program perfectly etc etc

The bad old professional installer (Goofus) always incorrectly programs, always uses the wrong equipment, always out to screw the customer

Its a sales tactic, make professional installers look bad so you can sell more equipment. And when called on it throw out a nibblet like "well not all installers are bad"

Reply to
Mark Leuck

oh man that takes me back.

| > Actually, I try not to figure it out, at first all the bickering annoyed | me, | > now when I see who's posting back and forth toward the bottom of threads I | > don't even go down there to read them unless somehow once of my posts got | > mixed in. | >

| > Some of the bickering is entertaining most not. I prefer to talk tech | stuff | > and have some yuks. I hear enough freeking bickering between my teenage | > daughter and my wife to make my head explode...I come here to escape. | | I'm glad someone else once read Highlife magazine, for some reason my | dentist always had them laying around when I was a kid. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.