Ademco 5800RP Implementation

Just curious, how do you suppose the 5800RP avoids creating duplicate messages? If the wireless panel is close enough to a 58xx and 5800RP to receive both the original message from the 58xx and the rebroadcast message from the 5800RP, does the panel assume they are the same message due to close proximity in time? And, if two or more 5800RP are used, how do they avoid pinging back and forth? Do you suppose there is a brief window of time where they do not rebroadcast messages? Finally, what if two 5800RP units are within range of the same 58xx and attempt to rebroadcast the message at almost the same instant? How does the panel receive messages from two 5800RP units broadcasting at more or less the same time. In summary, how do you suppose these issues are resolved?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

It probably acts like any other 2 way radio repeater which ever message gets there first is rebroadcast and same with main receiver it Annunciates first contact but if 2 signals come in at same time you will hear chime twice in a row. Either way the RP works very well where I have used it.

Reply to
nick markowitz

But what if two message arrive at almost the same time? Wouldn't the collision cause interference?

Thanks, that's good to know.

I'm replacing a LYNX with a VISTA 20P/6160RF (I want to add relays). The LYNX works flawlessly, but the 6160RF lacks the same range. The LYNX works anywhere in the house, but no matter where I place the 6160RF, I can't get full coverage of all sensors and keypads. Do you suppose a 5883H would have worked better than the 6160RF?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I would shut down the RF portion of the 6160RF and go with the 5883ENH instead. I have run across several problems with the 6160RF not working right after a while.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

I agree with Jim I would always rather have a signal straight thru than thru a repeater

Reply to
nick markowitz

OK, I think may do that. I think that's a much better option than resorting to a repeater if possible.

I reread the 6160RF manual and see that it recommends at least 10' between the panel and the keypad transceiver. Given that the 5881 can be mounted inside the panel (with antennas outside the can), I would not have guessed that such a large distance would be required. I separated the 6160RF and panel and I think I'm close to 100% coverage now. The separation made a significant improvement in coverage. I may be able to use the 6160RF, but if not, I'll disable the transceiver and add the 5883.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I have found that by mounting the receiver in the can with antenna pointing out actually increases range of wireless as it gives you a grounded back plane . Rarely have i needed the repeater and even then signals hit most times i was using it as a back up when high noise was in area. I have transmitters inside the radio tower huts at WAVL which are 300' from receiver and getting hit with 5000 watts of AM and they still trigger every time the 5800 stuff properly installed is pretty good stuff

Reply to
nick markowitz

That's good to know. How odd that the 6160RF requires separation from the panel. I have not yet mounted the panel to the wall and I did a number of tests with the panel and 6160RF in various locations around the house. If the 6160RF is too close to the panel, range is poor and performance is sporadic. If the separation was too small, it could not communicate with a

5828V in the next-next bedroom (two walls and 30').

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I believe that you are experiencing the conflict between distance, wave length and null points or consider the following:

Usually, putting the receiver at a high elevation, centrally located, cures most transmission problems. However, large metal objects, ( kitchen appliances, automobiles, large mirrors, [especially old mirrors], HVAC ducts, foiled insulation or wall paper, etc) can cause bounce or deflection or reduction of signal and may require some trial and error location of the receiver. In some cases, only two receivers will suffice. If you don't want to mess around with the trial and error, start out with two receivers or a repeater, depending upon the mfg you're using.

Reply to
Jim

"Christopher Glaeser" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Just curious, how do you suppose the 5800RP avoids creating duplicate messages? If the wireless panel is close enough to a 58xx and 5800RP to receive both the original message from the 58xx and the rebroadcast message from the 5800RP, does the panel assume they are the same message due to close proximity in time? And, if two or more 5800RP are used, how do they avoid pinging back and forth? Do you suppose there is a brief window of time where they do not rebroadcast messages? Finally, what if two 5800RP units are within range of the same 58xx and attempt to rebroadcast the message at almost the same instant? How does the panel receive messages from two 5800RP units broadcasting at more or less the same time. In summary, how do you suppose these issues are resolved?

Best, Christopher

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher there are ways in a wireless system to implement anti collision scheme, hust take a look at AX25 protocol you will surely grab something, and about repeating the same signal received once by the 58xx and 5800RP all event in this type of wireless could maybe work with event id (could be a mix of the event and the time of the event occured, time since last normal report or such pattern). Me I would implement something like that, remember that those systeme are bidirectional..so a panel can send a sync signal to have a pattern that have a time stamp in events..

But that just speculation..

ax 25 info..

formatting link

Reply to
Petem

Yeah, seems reasonable.

Thanks.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.