ademco 20SE and 4286 phone module ring number?

I just added the phone moduel but I have voice mail supplied by the phone company rather than an answering machine. This does not appear to be addressed in the installation manual. If I set field 95 to 15 and call from outside, let it ring once, then call again, I get a fax tone which seems to be the panel picking up rather than the phone module. Is there a way around this?

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Set field "95" to something other than 15. If your phone module picks up after three rings, you may want to set your the field to "4".

Reply to
FIRETEK

Thanks for writing but I'm not quite clear.

If I set the field to 3 (or 4), how does the system pick up phone messages since the actual home phone line does not answer (i.e. the phone company voice mail picks up)? I assume that the phone module will pick up all calls at 3 or 4 rings If I set it higher (at 5 or so), the voice messaging system (not on the premises) will pick up the call before the phone module does.

It seems like I need a system similar to the "15" setting where I can trick the phone module into picking up early before the voice messaging system picks up. True?

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

You're quite right. I would suggest you put your alarm system on a separate line from your home phone service.

Reply to
FIRETEK

That answers the question. Thank you.

Reply to
Dennis

Once you hear the tone enter the phone module access code you programmed into the system.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I have not tried that. I will try it and write back to the group. Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis

or get an answering machine instead of vm

| > If I set the field to 3 (or 4), how does the system pick up phone messages | > since the actual home phone line does not answer (i.e. the phone company | > voice mail picks up)? I assume that the phone module will pick up all | > calls at 3 or 4 rings If I set it higher (at 5 or so), the voice | messaging | > system (not on the premises) will pick up the call before the phone module | > does. | >

| > It seems like I need a system similar to the "15" setting where I can | trick | > the phone module into picking up early before the voice messaging system | > picks up. True? | >

| > Dennis | | | You're quite right. I would suggest you put your alarm system on a separate | line from your home phone service. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That is supposed to happen, it then drops off and the 4286 will then be active

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Believe it or not, as it turns out, I can enter the phone code during the squeal and will seize the phone module. Field 95 is set to 15.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Cool! That way you won't need that second line. I sort of didn't have a choice and "bit the wallet" to get one. My oldest son is a "babe magnet" and he must spend about 8 hours on the phone every day.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.