Ademco 20P EOLR question

Experimenting with my new 20P system. I plan to have a qualified installer come in and set it up with monitoring after learning a bit about it myself. That said, the question I have is on the EOLR setup. House is prewired. Zone has two contacts on it. I have a hot wire running from the panel to the window contact (terminal 1), exiting that contact on (terminal 2) going to the other window contact (terminal 1) then, exiting there (terminal 2) and going back to the panel. My question is where does the 2k resistor go? from the second contact (terminal2 to the wire going back to the panel or strapping terminal 1 and terminal 2. Or is the wiring correct? Should it be wired differently? I get circuit continuity with the windows closed in current configuration. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
k_upton
Loading thread data ...

In between contact 2 terminal 2 and the return conductor. Realistically though, it can go anywhere on the circuit in series with the switches (preferably at the switch end -- some installers put them in the panel which defeats the purpose).

Reply to
G. Morgan

stop before you blow yourself up...wait for the alarm guy to hook up your system.

terminals 1 & 2 have *nothing* to do with door or window contacts!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I read that as the terminals on the contact, not the board.

If he did mean the board then all I can say is, "HOLY CRAP!!!"

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Perhaps terminal 1 and 2 were not the correct terminalogy to use..... I used terminal 1 and 2 to denote the two ends of the contact/switch, not the terminals on the main board.

Reply to
k_upton

He knows that, he was busting your balls.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ok, fair enough, all newbies have to pay their dues.....

Reply to
k_upton

If you choose to put the EOL at the panel, you might as well program the zone for no EOL at all. It is an option on the 20P, except for 24 hour type zones.

Jim Rojas

k_upt> Ok, fair enough, all newbies have to pay their dues.....

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

You might want to reconsider the way you're running the wires. Instead of making an amoeboid loop like you described, run separate cables to each detector. Splice them together at the panel. That way when (not if) something goes wrong you can open the loops at the panel to determine where the problem is. The way you're planning it will be harder to service later.

As to the EOL resistor, Graham's original suggestion will work fine. Place the EOL in the series with the return line after the last sensor in the circuit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yabbut, programming for EOL, even if it's at the panel, will indicate trouble on the zone with a ground fault. And it's a DIY system, so ground faults are somewhat more likely.

Reply to
Steven Vaughan

on a burg zone?...im not sure that it does.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You should home-run all your contact points. That way you can annunciate each one uniquely at the keypad. If you're "gung ho" about using the end of lines, I'd take the switches back and get GRI stubbies with the EOL's built in and the terminal connections (not the pig-tails). That's the proper way to wire the zone, but Graham's idea works too. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

How are things goin', Robert? Email me if you'd like to keep your reply off the board.

Reply to
Frank Olson

My chemo starts today so I may be taking a few days off, depending on how rough it is.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Good luck man, hope it helps.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Won't allow it to be armed, which says "I need service".

Reply to
Steven Vaughan

Thanks to all for the help. zones 2-8 are now working and tested... next on the todo list is the 4219 zone expander.

Reply to
k_upton

Go with the 4229 - you never know what cool uses you may find for the relays...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I wish Honeywell would finally update those archaic module designs. Everyone else's expanders & modules are 50-75 percent smaller, and actually do alot more...

Jim Rojas

JoeRais>> Thanks to all for the help. zones 2-8 are now working and tested...

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thanks. It was pretty awful today. The chemo is much stronger than the first regimen was.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.