Adding Envisalink EVL4 - Auxillary Power Max'ed out?

I plan on purchasing an EVL4 shortly but have a question regarding Auxiliar y Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below auxiliary devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 20P ins tallation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxiliary Po wer draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxiliary Te rminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated) inst allation.

I think I can make the assumption that the Alpha Keypads would only reach 1

00ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED lights a re activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the extra 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.

I'm trying to save having to deal with a second auxiliary power supply and its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still be able to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.

Does anyone have a comment on what I should do here? Thanks for your help i n advance.

Current Devices (2) 6160 Alpha Keypads (100ma each - total 200ma) (1) 5881 RF Receiver (35ma) (1) 4286 Phone Module (300ma)

Reply to
JohnM
Loading thread data ...

Best hope is to turn "off" all buzzers and led's on keypad's and sensors (when you can)..

Do an actual current check on the power out (paper work is fine for a starting point, but each device can be different than the norm)

a second power supply is not that expensive and can save a lot of problems down the road... (just remember to follow the instructions)

Reply to
RTS

ary Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below auxilia ry devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 20P i nstallation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxiliary Power draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxiliary Terminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated) in stallation.

100ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED lights are activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the extr a 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.

d its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still be ab le to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.

Your car can do over 100 miles an hour.

If you could do it lawfully, would you actually drive it that fast everywhe re you went? Think about it. And why wouldn't you? Maybe because it wouldn' t last as long ?? huh? Maybe? Ya think?

Put in a aux power supply ???. Jeeeeeeze!

Reply to
Jim Davis

liary Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below auxil iary devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 20P installation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxiliar y Power draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxiliar y Terminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated) installation.

ch 100ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED ligh ts are activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the ex tra 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.

and its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still be able to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.

lp in advance.

here you went? Think about it. And why wouldn't you? Maybe because it would n't last as long ?? huh? Maybe? Ya think?

Thanks for the advice....my issue was to try and squeak by with just the on e power supply.

As I'm sure you must know that you can't use the same transformer to power both the main alarm panel and the aux power supply. Therefore adding an au x power supply will require me to do additional electrical work to add anot her AC outlet for the second oversized 1361 transformer. Also it requires purchasing an additional battery to provide the necessary backup power in t he event of a rare power outage because as you must know, Honeywell states you can't connect both to a single battery. All of this would likely requir e an additional secure box so that all this additional hardware wasn't read ily accessible.

So as you can see, this simple task has just turned into something a lot mo re complex for the sake of a measly 10ma of additional current required by the hardware.

But if for nothing else I learned something about driving my car over a 100 . I never thought it wouldn't last as long. My first thought is I'd have to wear "Depends" if I did go that fast.

Have a great day and please keep on posting for the benefit of all.

Reply to
jtma67

not true about the single transformer..

may not sound right but we been doing it for years..

case...

just remember to follow the instructions about connecting the extra power supply (-) together..

** just remember the LED's on the sensors and back light on keypads is what draws all the power..
Reply to
RTS

xiliary Power Maximums. I have a Vista 20P control panel with the below aux iliary devices which have a total current draw of 535ma (as stated in the 2

0P installation manual). Adding a EVL4 at 75ma would bring the total Auxili ary Power draw to 610ma. The Vista 20P documentation states that the Auxili ary Terminal power available is 600ma . This is a residential (non-UL rated ) installation.

each 100ma maximum if the keypad sonalert and the panel backlighting LED li ghts are activated at the same time. If that is the case I hoping that the extra 10ma overage would only be reached in a worst case scenario.

y and its associated power transformer but want to insure that I'll still b e able to access the panel remotely in that worst case scenario.

help in advance.

ywhere you went? Think about it. And why wouldn't you? Maybe because it wou ldn't last as long ?? huh? Maybe? Ya think?

one power supply.

r both the main alarm panel and the aux power supply. Therefore adding an aux power supply will require me to do additional electrical work to add an other AC outlet for the second oversized 1361 transformer. Also it require s purchasing an additional battery to provide the necessary backup power in the event of a rare power outage because as you must know, Honeywell state s you can't connect both to a single battery. All of this would likely requ ire an additional secure box so that all this additional hardware wasn't re adily accessible.

more complex for the sake of a measly 10ma of additional current required b y the hardware.

1. I never thought it wouldn't last as long. My first thought is I'd hav e to wear "Depends" if I did go that fast.

You can use the 4 Amp hour battery and the larger 40VA plug-in transformer as Rocky suggest as a common source or just use a power strip or one of tho se multi-plug expanders to gain another outlet to plug the second transform er into. You can use tie wrap/cable ties / zip ties to strap the transforme r so it doesn't fall out of the outlet plug.

As Rocky said ?? Don't forget to run a common wire between the negative terminal of the power supply and the negative terminal of the alarm control panel auxiliary power output.

And OH Yeah! Wearing Depends is for sissies !

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.