Adding a 2nd Ademco 6128 keypad to Vista 10SE W/E2

I recently bought a house with a Vista 10SE W/E2 alarm system. The system has 1 6128 keypad located in the house. There is a "semi-detached" garage which has a motion detector. I want to add a 2nd keypad in the garage. I have a new 6128 mounted in the garage & connected & have run the wires into the alarm box inside the house. So far so good. I understand all I need to do is connect the new pad in parallel with the existing one, to terminals 4 (black) 5 (red) 6 (green) 7 (yellow). Seems simple, but I have 2 concerns

1), the label in the alarm cover says "Remote keypads MUST be programmed with a #5137AD or 6139. It need not remain in the system... After programming, the system can use: (a bunch of keypads including the 6128 @30ma)." So do I need one of these other keypads (#5132AD or 6139) to program the new pad? Also 2) if all I need to do is connect the keypad to the correct screws, is the alarm company going to "freak" when I do this? Do I need to call them 1st (which I'd prefer not to do) or can I put the system in some "stand down" state while I connect the keypad, then re-activate it after?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

Don't know if it matters but I should add the alarm company is ADT.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Set all addressable keypads to address 31, which should be the factory default address for 6128, 6137, 6138, and 6139 keypads. SETTING THE KEYPAD ADDRESS The keypad can be set for an address of 0-31 (the keypad will not accept entries greater than 31), which is stored in EEROM memory. The keypad's default address is 31 (non-addressable mode-some early versions of 6139/6139R default to 11). To change the keypad's address, do the following:

1. Enter address mode: Power up (plug in) the keypad. Within 60 seconds of power-up, press and hold down the [1] and [3] keys at the same time for 3 seconds. (If unable to enter address mode, power up and try again.) The current keypad address will be displayed, and the cursor will be under the "tens" digit. If 10 seconds have passed with no key entry, the keypad automatically exits address mode. You must power down, power up and start address mode again. NOTE: The keypad will not enter address mode if the panel to which it is connected is in programming mode.

The Vista 10SE doesn't keep track of the keypads attached to it as some other Ademco panels do so there is no need to enter the programming mode using a 6139 keypad. If you are not currently using a 6139 with custom text, don't worry about programming text with a 6139. (They don't make them any more anyway. It is a 6160 now instead of a 6139).

It would be better to call the monitoring station and put the system on test first, then power down the system (AC and battery), then connect the keypad, and then power it back up again. Then test the system and call the monitoring station to verify signals, and then take it off test. Best of luck.

Reply to
Just Looking

Thanks for the helpful reply. I did check the address for the existing keypad, it is 31. I see in the instructions that came with the new one that as you said, the default is 31, so it should be too. If I put the system on test, (code-test) then unplug the AC adapter, then disconnect the battery, I am assuming the system will effectively be non-existing to the ADT, correct? My concern about contacting them is that, since the system was here when I moved in, I am not sure who "owns" it, me (e.g., if the previous owner had paid for it) or ADT (if the previous owner had leased it). My experience with alarm companies is limited to a year at a nearby rental, and about 2 months here. I am quickly learning they can be bastards (my last company was Protection One, don't get me started... ), and I am afraid there will be some kind of fine-print clause preventing me from adding components, or charging me some ridiculous fee if I do so. I'd really rather just do the work then fire it up, if this is feasible.

BTW, based on your knowledge of these systems, how old is this alarm likely to be?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Yep you've voided any warrantee they may have provided. Also, if you've added a zone they won't know what it is.

The 10SE was discontinued a year or two ago, but it's been around for quite a while - I've got some out there from 97, but I'm sure it was around a lot before that as well.

Yah, if you totally power the system down it will be non-existant to everyone...including you.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Really? So it WON'T WORK if the power's off? Golly.

Obviously, I was talking about reconnecting the power after I connected the

2nd pad.
Reply to
Dan

The original V-10 came out around 92-93 and the SE in 95

Reply to
Mark Leuck

As a practical matter, no alarm company wants to have and end user fat fingering the system it installed. It is not hard to understand why. If you or someone else other than ADT owns the equipment (and since you didn't sign an agreement with ADT) I think it would be hard for you to be bound by that agreement. In this case your system is so old (last made in 2001 I believe) I doubt it is under any sort of warranty that you would void and I doubt if ADT has reliable records of exactly how many keypads it has on that system. Since the panel itself doesn't know how many keypads it has, it won't (can't) signal to ADT any information regarding a change in keypads attached to the system. In other words, ADT won't know (much less care), unless they read this post. If there is some sort of loss due to equipment failure, and legal finger pointing starts, your efforts may come to light.

Reply to
Roland More

Welp, you never said nuttin' about powering it back up.

If you meant will ADT be able to tell if you added a keypad...no they won't. But, if you've added an undefined zone, like a motion in a garage, they won't know what to do with that zone if it comes in.

| > Yah, if you totally power the system down it will be non-existant to | > everyone...including you. | | Really? So it WON'T WORK if the power's off? Golly. | | Obviously, I was talking about reconnecting the power after I connected the | 2nd pad. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Roland-Thanks for the reply, you've pretty much stated what I assumed to be the case, including the age, existance of a warranty, etc. Am I correct to assume if I put the system in test, power it down, connect the keypad & re-power, the new keypad should be functional?

Reply to
Dan

Have a feeling this system is an ADT system but is not monitored...Dan never really said so or did he?

| >> It would be better to call the monitoring station and put the system on | >> test | >> first, then power down the system (AC and battery), then connect the | >> keypad, | >> and then power it back up again. Then test the system and call the | >> monitoring station to verify signals, and then take it off test. | >> Best of luck. | >

| >

| > Thanks for the helpful reply. I did check the address for the existing | > keypad, it is 31. I see in the instructions that came with the new one | > that as you said, the default is 31, so it should be too. If I put the | > system on test, (code-test) then unplug the AC adapter, then disconnect | > the battery, I am assuming the system will effectively be non-existing to | > the ADT, correct? My concern about contacting them is that, since the | > system was here when I moved in, I am not sure who "owns" it, me (e.g., if | > the previous owner had paid for it) or ADT (if the previous owner had | > leased it). My experience with alarm companies is limited to a year at a | > nearby rental, and about 2 months here. I am quickly learning they can be | > bastards (my last company was Protection One, don't get me started... ), | > and I am afraid there will be some kind of fine-print clause preventing me | > from adding components, or charging me some ridiculous fee if I do so. | > I'd really rather just do the work then fire it up, if this is feasible. | >

| > BTW, based on your knowledge of these systems, how old is this alarm | > likely to be? | >

| > Dan | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks Mark, sounds right based on the age of the house.

Reply to
Dan

Yes it should. However in alarm work it is best to assume nothing works until it is throughly tested. Try each digit on the new keypad one by one (including # and *) while still on test with the monitoring station.

Reply to
Roland More

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.