7845C in conjunction with a DSC 5020

Seen this once a long time ago in a mini-mart. The mini-mart had a DSC 5020 and a Alarmnet 7845C tied into it, but at the time I was unable to locate where in the mini-mart the 7845C was located to verify how it was wired. When I sent some signals, I expected to be told by monitoring that they recieved a signal from the panel in CID ie:(Zone 4). I then expected to get a typical Zone 1 Burg Alarm off of the 7845C. What I got was a (Zone 4) off of the 7845C. I then questioned how they got a (Zone 4). It seems that both the panel and the 7845C were setup using the same alarm event template. Which tells me, that the 7845C was setup with some type of communications between the 5020 and 7845C. And was not wired in the traditional method of (panel output-to-radio input). I assume this was done using a street smart module. Anyone got an idea how this may have been wired in order for the

7845C to understand the system events enough to report CID. Thanks, Ratchet!
Reply to
Ratchet442
Loading thread data ...

In order for the 7845C to report CID, you will need to replace the DSC

5020with an Ademco panel. Then you wire the 7845C across the keypad bus, then enable ECP reporting on the Ademco panel. Otherwise you are stuck using the single channels for generic reporting.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Reply to
Roland Moore

Do you really think they're going to shut down the AMPS service?

I don't.

Reply to
Jim

It would seem both you and I are the ONLY people I know who think this way, the deal is the providers have the option of turning it off but cellular backups are a very minor part of that network. I think much of the rush is the current AMPS equipment manufacturers have to assume the worst case scenario and figure it will turn off.

In reality it may be years before it goes away if ever, I personally would rather move to GSM anyway since it does offer some enhancements

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I can understand that they'd like everyone to stop buying the old equipment and start buying the new so they can get up to speed in manufacturing and also get all the bugs out. And also, the longer AMPS stays around, they'll have to dedicate technical support for it. If they didn't contribute to the rumour mill, that it was going to end, no one in the field would take much notice and wouldn't do anything until the equipment in the field stopped working. The other thing is, they want the centrals to begin investing in the new equipment as soon as possible. There's a learning curve and there's always a shakedown period for equipment and procedures. May as well get everything rolling now instead of experiencing a mad scramble and lull in sales when the sunset occurs.

I think telcos will just let the towers that are working continue, with only minor maintinence, until they stop working. Metro areas will stay up longer because of the abundance of towers. But they're not just going to turn it off at a specific time.

Reply to
Jim

What I expect will happen is that the cell providers will simply stop maintaining the AAMPS stuff, and it will eventually fade away. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Roland Moore

In the Big Metro areas look for that to happen sooner than later... Analog channels only allow a single call per pair (input/output frequency) at any given time. Digital can handle (estimate) 10 calls per pair, that equals more revenue for the telco. The revenue side of things is the big motivator to kill AMPS, they could care less about the alarm guy's problems, after all, we've been warned in advance. Just my 1/2 cent, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

seem

Could be, supposedly they want to use the bandwith for something else tho

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.