6150rf

I recently started to install a vista 20p system in my house to replace an existing system that was 20 years old at least. I am a novice but enjoy learning about this stuff. I bought most of everything used or new on ebay. I am in the process of getting all hooked up and turned on a 6150rf and found a problem. I can get the unit talking to the vista but the display is very hard to read. It seems like all the words are on but if you get your eyes at a certain angle, it is not all on and in fact it faintly shows what it is supposed to show but only when I have my eyes at the right level. I thought there was no backlighting but it turns out that it is on but only noticeable in the dark. Is it toast or is there something that can be done. I don't have the wireless stuff working as yet so I can't speak to whether that is working.

THX Larry

Reply to
LJP602
Loading thread data ...

the keypad needs addressed to 16 0r 17 on the key buss push in 1 and

3 at same time see what address is many come defaulted at 31 . if defaulted to 31 then you need to program it so it displays properly. upon power up push 1 and 3 then set address and push star.
Reply to
nick markowitz

the keypad needs addressed to 16 0r 17 on the key buss push in 1 and

3 at same time see what address is many come defaulted at 31 . if defaulted to 31 then you need to program it so it displays properly. upon power up push 1 and 3 then set address and push star.

Thanks but got that part done, I think. It is addressed as 17 and the vista P is set so it sees it and I can operate system from this keypad. I have a

6160 addressed as 16. Problem is just the display.

THX

Reply to
LJP602

I'm not sure I like the sounds of your keypad - that backlight shouldn't need darkness to be noticeable.

The first thing I would do is take it apart and make sure the display connections are all clean and tight.

I don't have a lot of confidence that this will fix it but it's always possible and worth the effort.

Also possible that you have a power issue but if that was the case it would probably be doing it to both keypads, though the rf is a bigger power hog than the other one. You could always try connecting it directly to the panel on just a few feet of wire - that can eliminate a few variables.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Thanks for the note Joe, I think I may have found the issue but again maybe not. I took the keypad off the wall, disconnected it from the cable and then unclipped the board from the case. I lifted the board out and the display stayed in the case. Is it possible that the connection between display and board is a pressure connection between the board and the display. I put it back together and indeed the display is active but the same problem exists, I can read all the fixed english on the display except when I have the display square to my perspective. Also, the backlight, which works off of 3 led's mounted on the board, does not seem to be lighting up very well.

Do you think this is the issue with the keypad?THX Larry

Reply to
LJP602

Try connecting it directly to the panel with only a few feet of wire. That will rule out any problems you may have with the wiring.

If the problem still persists take the keypad apart. Take the display board and everything out of the case. Examine all the parts to make sure you know where everything interfaces. Clean all the connections. You can use a cloth and alcohol or even a pencil eraser. When you put it back together make sure everything is lined up properly and that all connections are tight. If that doesn't fix it then I would say the keypad was being sold for a reason.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Sounds like a bad display, it shouldn't be hard to read

Reply to
mleuck

sounds like toast

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.