60-806 help

ok, so common story, we bought a house that had a GE 60-806 security alarm system, and previous owners claim to have no idea what the codes were. Last night I decided to start screwing around with it to see if I could make any guesses. Wife suggested the street address, and that didn't work, so I tried the address backwards (or so I think) and voila, I was suddenly armed in stay mode. Butttttt.... I can't turn the dang thing off. 1 (or anything resembling the backwards address...numbers out of order, partial numbers, etc) won't turn it off. Unplugged the unit and battery overnight, but as I feared, the armed status must stay in memory, as it is still armed 16 hours later when I plugged it in. Left a door open as it beeps down to arming thinking maybe that would suspend the arm mode, but yeah, just sounded the alarm (luckily there's no longer phone service to the unit) Soooo... any way to force this thing to disable? am i missing something and the code that i thought i entered last night just isn't working? (i enter one, it asks for code, i enter the 5 digits, nothing happens)

If I"m ultimately forced to push the thing back to factory defaults, is there an installer manual somewhere? and if I have to buy the programmer keypad for the panel itself, anyone have a cost and/or link? Frustrated and locked in, Brian

Reply to
brihyn
Loading thread data ...

When you started pressing keys randomly I suggest that you entered the "quick arm" shortcut. The only way to turn the system off is via one of the user codes. You won't be able to enter programming until the system is disarmed. Unless some kind soul can provide you with the previous owners user code, you're hooped. Now... If some kind soul had programmed a keyfob for arm/disarm, you only have to find that. Good luck!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

I agree with Frank...you weren't even close to guessing the code...you quick armed it. Good luck getting it disarmed now.

There's two things you never, ever, ever do on a Friday night; one is attempt to "fix" your own computer, the other is push buttons on an alarm system you don't know the codes to.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There's nothing wrong with "fixing" your own computer as long as you know what you're doing, have "backups" for everything, and parts "on hand" for the time that your power supply suddenly decides to "go south".

As for "pushing buttons" randomly... That's just plain ignorance, which we can't fault the OP for. Most indivuals that buy a new house with a "built in" alarm system usually get the relevant codes from the previous owner/occupants. OTOH, most homeowners have ongoing monitoring contracts which may stipulate to a clause that they don't actually "own" the equipment they're using... all I can say is: "Let the games begin!" :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Considering I'm a network engineer and manage around 150 servers myself, I don't really mind fixing my own computeer on a friday night. And having previously been in a position of qa'ing and doing component- level repairs on security and fire alarm circuit boards (read: I had to troubleshoot down to the individual integrated circuiit or circuite board trace), along with designing and implementing my own fully functional monitoring system at the previous house, this doesn't seem that bad to me. Again, if I can get the programmer board and installer manual, I can reset the thing back to original defaults and reprogram it myself. And really, is having it unplugged right now worse than having it plugged in but unusable, as it was prior to me "randomly pushing buttons"??? We've been here 6 months and up until now, the security system was useless. So thanks for the condescending attitude, but can we get back to actually answering my original question?

Reply to
brihyn

Well, you're "one up" on me... I would NEVER undertake to do a board level repair on a fire alarm system... But then, I run a service company that has obligations that go beyond "fat fingering" a part of a life safety system whereas you... manage servers... Gee... If my server goes "down", it means I can't get emails... Oh bliss!!! :-)

"Programmer board"??? Where'd you get that notion?? And all the installer manual will tell you at this point is that you can't enter programming mode while the system is armed. There is no "east tunnel" and there is no "back door" into your system. What part of "hooped" don't you understand, "Mr. Network Engineer"??

You're back to "square one". You have to replace the common control board (easy for a Network Engineer that manages 150 servers), and then program your system "from scratch"... I won't say that'll be "easy" as you're having difficulty understanding the concept of being "hooped"... but I can hope! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

TTBOMK, you can't get into programming while the system is disarmed even if you had the installer code. As someone else already pointed out, you're probably going to have to replace the main PCB and program the new one from scratch. The manuals you need to accomplish that come packed with the panel. GE doesn't make them available for download without a dealer username and password. If you want to try to get into the panel without replacing it, Jim Rojas, another of the regulars here, has an online archive of manuals for just about everything since the creation of the wheel. Jim's site is

formatting link
If you decide you want to replace the board, several online stores, including mine, sell GE Security equipment direct to the public.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Frank- My comments were not meant towards you originally. Your first 2 replies were indeed helpful, and I don't doubt I messed up. And i worked for a fire/security alarm manufacturer as a QA tech. So I have a pretty thorough understanding of how the boards actually operate behind the scenes. I wasn't just seeing how shit worked. People's lives did actually depend on me knowing how to read a fire alarm's circuit board. But as for the rest your snarky reply, yeah, you don't get email. But there's a hell of a lot of critical systems that run on servers. An outage can cost a hell of a lot more money in 30 minutes of downtime in my company than someone walking away with everything in my house. And frankly, the fact that the security i put in place in my networks is securing a pretty large chunk of the nation's health insurance records seems a bit more risky than the chimp who installed the system in this house undertook. And where did i get the notion of an installer manual and programmer board helping me? from quite a few boards. Do a google on "reset

60-806" yourself and see where I might have gotten that idea. Yes, i could send this in so that they could reprogram the EEProm. Or I could simply short out the reset pins and reprogram the door, window, and glass break zones myself, just like the installer who original put the system in place had to do. Wow....you're right. I don't have the skills that most security installers get in their monkey training classes (and sure, there are quite a few decent installers out there. But I've run into a hell of a lot more who had absolutely no idea what security really means installing in corporate offices). So again, thanks for your first two replies. They WERE helpful, and I don't deny that I probably shouldn't have been jacking with the thing. But kiss my butt on your last email. You still haven't denied that I'm no worse off tonight than i was a day ago.
Reply to
brihyn

Oops! I meant to say, "while the system is armed..."

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you send me the board, I can disarm it, unlock it, and change the master code back to 1234, so you can change the code on your own. All zone programming will be saved.

Jim Rojas

brihyn wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Jim and Robert- Thanks much for the feedback. Jim- Watch your email.

Reply to
brihyn

The most important thing I can think of is; are the smoke detectors in your home controlled from that panel or not?

If they are not then I refer you to panelguides.com for the relevant manuals (the site may or may not have them). Now that the system is armed I don't think you will have much luck getting into programming (that might make it a little easy for the crooks - don't you think?).

I would look at replacing the main panel control (and keypads if you go with a different make/model). That way you are starting with a fresh panel and can ensure that there aren't some other codes laying about in programming that a previous resident could use to get into your home.

Figuring out the wiring and zoning could be a PITA depending on the professionalism of the original installers. We always write the location of the device directly on the wire making such changeovers a breeze. Other companies use numbered wire labels but the legends are almost never available onsite. Still others (what may be referred to her as "trunk slammers") don't label in any way 'cause that would take a few extra minutes...

Now, if the smoke detectors ARE controlled by that panel then you need to get the system up and running (and controllable by you) as soon as possible.

Until it is fixed, do not allow your family to sleep in a house that is not protected by smoke detectors - ever. It only takes ONE night.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

There are several things that you've stated that just plain don't make sense (not that I'm "counting"). As a "QA Tech", I don't quite understand how "people's lives" depended on your ability to be able to "read a fire alarm's circuit board". It either "works" or it doesn't. I've worked with several fire alarm manufacturers and their "QA Techs" did nothing more than plug the board in and ensure it passed the test parameters set by the guys that engineered the thing. If it didn't, the unit was "diverted" back to R&D. Now... If you'd told us you were into R&D that would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

It wasn't intended to be "snarky". Notice the smiley??

I agree completely and I didn't intend to demean your work as a network engineer.

Uh-huh... That "chimp" do a poor job?? Why blame your own stupidity (for pushing buttons at random on a system you have admitted you don't have the codes for) on the "chimp that installed your system?? And why demean the individual (and the people that participate in this forum) with the use of such derogatory remarks?? Do you intend to win us over? I don't think you're going about it in just quite the right way.

Y'know... I'm not even going to go where you're going here. I'm just going to let your comments stand on their own. It demonstrates beyond measure what you think about the people in our industry. Why I even bothered to respond to such an arrogant, opinionated asshole I'll never know. You should read up on Netiquette before participating in a message board such as this. The "smileys" I placed in several key parts of the response which has engendered such a reply on your part should have clued you in to the fact that what I said was in jest.

And why should I? You are no worse off than you were a day ago, unless of course, your system also employs smoke detectors, in which case, killing the panel circumvents their usefulness and places your family at risk (as Joe has already pointed out). Good job, Mr. Network Engineer!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Good point. I admit, I hadn't even thought about the smoke alarms possibly being wired to the panel (old house had security only) I guess worse case scenario, I unplug the unit in the day, at night plug it in, until I get the unit fixed. And hell, even buy some cheap battery fire alarms as a temporary solution

Reply to
brihyn

It's easy enough to check. Test your smoke detectors while the panel is powered down to make sure they are not operated by it.

If they are battery operated now would be a good time to change the batts. in them while you're thinking about it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

2 problems here

1. There are 2 solder points on the main board however it is doubtful that will completely unlock the board especially if it is armed

2. Even if you defaulted it as you seem to know you would need a
60-746 or 60-983 alpha keypad, for that look up possible vendors in Google
Reply to
mleuck

I would say stick with networks and computers not alarm systems

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.