3¢ Per Pound

In the past I've always had the vendor take care of my spent alarm batteries. No return, but no headache either. The last couple years I have not been able to do that so the pile is getting pretty big. I stopped by a local recycler and asked if they were interested in paying for them. Yep.

there much less my time. What got me was the guy was practically rubbing

you guys get rid of your old batteries?

There used to be a guy who would pickup car batteries listed on Craigslist, but I haven't seen him on for a while. Still, figured it couldn't hurt to post an add to unload them on Craigslist see if one of the scrappers would be interested in them and would pickup. Atleast if they pickup when they pay next to nothing it won't cost me money to dispose of them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

In the past I've always had the vendor take care of my spent alarm batteries. No return, but no headache either. The last couple years I have not been able to do that so the pile is getting pretty big. I stopped by a local recycler and asked if they were interested in paying for them. Yep.

there much less my time. What got me was the guy was practically rubbing

you guys get rid of your old batteries?

There used to be a guy who would pickup car batteries listed on Craigslist, but I haven't seen him on for a while. Still, figured it couldn't hurt to post an add to unload them on Craigslist see if one of the scrappers would be interested in them and would pickup. Atleast if they pickup when they pay next to nothing it won't cost me money to dispose of them.

We've several scrap yards in our area and each pays rather well for old batteries.. Not sure on the current rates but at one time we got $200 for a 4'x4'x4' box load..

RTS

Reply to
RTS

It's not a problem for me since I've got 4/5 distributors in my area. But I just return the old batteries to the distributor where I picked up my part s.

Just a note, I seem to remember that it is part of the "recycling law"(?) t hat anyone who sells new batteries is required by law to take back old batt eries ( even if you didn't by them there) Lead doesn't get much return $ here eit her. I've got a few old car batteries sitting around for years now. Someday I may take them to Costco or wherever. I pay a refundable $5.00 fee every time I buy a car battery but I never seem to get around to returning the ol d ones. I also don't cash in the soda bottles and cans. I just put them in the recycle can for trash pickup.

Reply to
Jim

LOL... About a year ago I was on a service call after hours without my truck & tools. It was a low battery (dead battery) in a UPS for a CCTV system. I went to Radio Shack right around the corner and got a new one and asked them if they would recycle the old one. The guy said no. So I set the old one on the counter and began talking about a nifty gadget on display. The guy was excited about a commission I guess because he went into a 5 minute sales pitch. As I gently said I might be back to buy the gadget, I picked up the new battery and walked out leaving the old one on the counter still.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Wow.... 3 whole cents. I take mine to the locak scrap yard but I get more than that. I'm not sure what, but it is more than 3 cents.

Reply to
Tommy

battery for 12-7s.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ADI and Alarmax will take batteries back no charge I drop mine off when I p ick up supplys and do not let them build up in first place

Reply to
NickMark

If I actually drove the 200 miles to ADI or Alarmax to pick up supplies that might be an option. I suppose I could schedule a bimonthly trip to Phoenix so they wouldn't build up. Should only cost me a few dollars per battery to get rid of them that way if I valued my time at zero. I guess the chortling recycler will get them afterall.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, if you have a local Sears Automotive or some chain auto parts store th at sells batteries, just bring them there, I think they'll take them.

Reply to
Jim

re: the craigslist guy, I called him (same guy?). he is in Sacramento. he pays 1.00 for a 12v 7ah bat

John

Reply to
John Sowden

We get about 1.25 per 7ah battery (in utah)

Reply to
James B

There may well be some sub-culture going on, but regarding the batteries I think you misread his post

1.25 per 7ah battery, not 1.25 per pound

Doug

Reply to
doug

RHC:I dont know what the price per pound is, but I can take back 100 or so batteries and end up with over $100. I have another 200 or so to take back this week, so the price per pound whatever it is, makes it worth it to retu rn them.

Reply to
tourman

So I guess that means that your following your fathers advice so many years ago when he told you to " get the lead out"

I leave my batteries by the playgrounds for the kids to play with. [ :-) ]

Reply to
Jim

Just got 27 cents a pound for 200 batteries

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.