VLAN trunking

can someone tell me what commands I need for trunking VLAN between two nortel baystack 325-24t's?

I only use the command line mode for config, what i have done is added the vlans to each switch, added port 26(the trunk port) to each vlan and put in 'vlan ports 26 tagging enable' on each switch. is this all I need? I have also got speed 100 duplex full manually set on the interfaces, trunking between a nortel and cisco seem to work but not between two nortels witht his config..

any ideas?

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam
Loading thread data ...

All you have to do is setting port 26 as tagging and adding it to every VLAN's on 325.

Reply to
Dophi

Ok thanks thought so,

do you also know if setting speed 100 and duplex full on a port "(a trunk port) disables its MDX/MDI? I have a straight through cable between two switches trunks and have no lights at all, site is in another city so have to wait until I can get a tech out there to try a x-over cable..

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

port has to be in auto mode for auto MDI/MDI-X to function.

However, I find it best if needing a crossover, to hard set ports anyway. Usually between network devices.

Due to issues with some auto negotiation protocol implementation, under heavy loads can flip settings. I find best to hard set any interfaces between network devices and network to servers. I have all clients auto and for the most part only where I use auto negotiation is on client ports.

Reply to
MC

yes thanks for that tip I did some testing today, a crossover cable works regardless of whether speed and duplex are auto or 100/full however if you have a straight through between two switches then you have to have set to auto auto. for some reason people like to use straight throughs between switches.. because on cisco's it doesnt matter.. (not me though)

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.