Symposium 5.0 & Web Client 4.0

Hi all,

Recently (to my understanding), Nortel started supporting the Symposium configuration of having both the SCCS and WebClient on the same server (as opposed to a separate server for each).

Due to our network, we have problems with the connection between SCCS and WebClient breaking now and then. It's an easy fix, but annoying for our end users when they call me to say that Symposium isn't working right. This newly supported configuration, I'm almost positive, would solve our issues.

What I'm wondering is if anyone in this group has this type of configuration yet, and if it works out for you, any 'gotchas', etc.

Thanks for any input!

Reply to
Michael Andrews
Loading thread data ...

Nortel calls this a co-resident setup. We installed SCCS 5.0 and Webclient(WC) 4.0 a few months ago on a dual Xeon Dell 2850 server.

I'm having a few issues when setting up agents in the traditional SCCS "thick" client and them not appearing in the WC. The WC will also sometimes "see" the agent but will not allow you to assign it into a WC partition. Not sure if this is a co-resident issue or just a WC issue. Our vendor (NextiraOne) has been a big help with the WC piece. They recommend that once you start using the WC that you not use the "thick" client for agent moves, adds, and changes. Everything on the WC might just need to be resync'ed with the SCCS database for it to be happy.

The Webclient multicast real-time displays and all the other features seem to work fine on the co-resident setup.

Note that Nortel requires Windows 2003 Server on a co-resident setup. If you run 2 separate servers, they can stay on W2K. The good news is you can do all the setup, config and testing of the SCCS 5.0 and then install the WebClient piece later. I believe that you DO need to initially indicate your intention to do a co-resident setup BEFORE you install the SCCS 5.0 piece. You can't just add the WC onto an existing SCCS box if it was not initially configured for co-residency.

Also, with a co-resident setup you need to use a separate backup program to backup the whole box. The built-in SCCS database backup scheduler does not backup the WC software or any of the WC specific configurations (access, partitions, etc.)

Overall, I'm a firm believer in minimizing the number of servers a person needs to manage. The co-resident setup is perfect for this and once my few bugs get ironed out, it will be really nice.

L.

Michael Andrews wrote:

Reply to
Lawrence Roney

Lawrence,

Thanks for the great information! It's much appreciated and very interesting. I'll be sure to post my experiences if/when we move to this setup.

~ Mike

Reply to
Michael Andrews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.