SMLT link to server with Intel NIC's.

Hello,

I want to connect a server with an SMLT link to 2 8600 switches. If I do this, is it correct that the server has 2 x 1Gb uplink and downlink available? How should I configure the Network Team on the server? Is Static Link Aggregation OK? The connection to any host is only 1Gb right? Or is there a possibility to make the bandwidtch to any host on the network that is also connected with SMLT to exceed the 1Gb limit, or better, can I have 2 Gb of bandwidth between 2 servers both connected with an SMLT link to the same pair of 8600 switches?

Thanks a lot. Jan Hugo Prins

Reply to
Jan Hugo Prins
Loading thread data ...

The server connected to Passport 8600 with SMLT will have 2Gb banwidth in theory. I suggest you use Static LACP to link with SMLT of Passport

8600. After routing or swtiching, there is only 1Gb bandwith for client if it is connected directly to Passport 8600 by using a giga port.

Reply to
Dophi

But if I have 2 servers, both connected with a SMLT to 2 8600 switches. Will I then have 1 Gb between those 2 servers or 2 Gb?

Jan Hugo Prins

Reply to
Jan Hugo Prins

SMLT only provides a Layer 2 redundency. Two links connnected to Passport 8600 can provide Layer 2 load sharing for inbound and outbound traffic if you have a lot of traffic from different clients to different servers. But, becasue the source and destination MAC addresses of two servers are fixed in a Layer 2 switching network, the traffic probably always only pass through one link; which means, there is probably only 1Gb bandwidth.

Jan Hugo Pr>

Reply to
Dophi

is this what you're trying to do?

svr ---------- [sw1] \\ || \\ || -------- [sw2]

the 8600s will forward traffic to server based on the hashing algorithm. to say that SMLT only provides a layer2 redundancy is not quite correct. both links are active at all times. so, theorytically, yes, 2Gbps is there when the two links are up. just make sure you have VRRP enabled in both aggregation switches. this virtual IP is going to be the default g/w for the servers for routed traffic.

good luck.

D> SMLT only provides a Layer 2 redundency. Two links connnected to

Reply to
lou

This is what I want to do:

What I want to know, do I now have 1 Gb between svr and svr2 or the full

2Gb?

Jan Hugo Prins

Reply to
Jan Hugo Prins

SMLT only provides layer 2 redundancy becasue it only deals with packet switching or forwarding, but not routing. Both links are active for only layer 2 switching and the hasing algorithm bases on source and destination MAC address.

A traditi> is this what you're trying to do?

Reply to
Dophi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.