PP 8600 log msgs

Does anyone know which doc explains Passsport 8600 log messages? Can't find it at the Nortel site.

Reply to
alcsf
Loading thread data ...

Sure. It seems to be a case of overwhelming a port with either multicast or broadcast packets. I assumed the port shutdown because of a rate limiting parameter, but rate limiting is not enabled.

CPU5 [04/27/05 15:35:02] CPU WARNING Shutdown port 1/1 due to excessive control frames multicast 0, broadcast 20024 packet per second

P.S. port 1/1 is a gig port on a 8616sxe module.

Reply to
alcsf

Can you post some of the log messages? Sometimes log messages reference hardware (Opid, RaptARU, etc) and they can be confusing. If you have a support contract, Nortel's tech support is really good at debugging log messages. Obviously it is very important to distinguish between hardware and software issues.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

Something generated that multicast flow. YOu may want to do some packet captures on that local segment. This issue has been discussed before, you may want to do some searching. I have experienced this issue a number of times. Rate limiting will control the multicast and broadcast packets so they do not chew up CPU cycles. If rate limiting is not configured, the OS will forcefully protect the CPU but shutting down a port before it locks up the switch. I could be a little off on the specifics of that.... Somebody else may chime in.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

As of v3.3 I think, Nortel has standardized the logging messages and documented this as "System Messaging Platform".

formatting link

Support -> Technical Documentation -> Ethernet Routing Switch 8600 ->

Documentation -> System Messaging Platform Reference Guide for whatever version you have.

Reply to
Chuck R. Anderson

That is correct. Usually, with a rate like 20000 pps, you probably have a network loop which keeps amplifying the packets each time they go around the loop. If you have a new enough software (later 3.5.x's and higher) you can see the reason and when a port was downed:

show port info state 1/1

To clear the port, admin down/up the port:

config eth 1/1 state dis config eth 1/1 state ena

You can configure the rate at which this feature kicks in, or disable it altogether, at your peril:

config eth 1/1 cp-limit [multicast-limit ] [broadcast-limit ]

Reply to
Chuck R. Anderson

Thanx Guys. Someone has fessed up to creating a loop. This, in conjunction with the cp-limit, explains the port shutdown.

I've checked the System Messaging Platform reference guide. It has log messages but is incomplete. Many messages are missing. Example would be the message I posted.

Reply to
alcsf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.