Passport 6K/7K/15K password clearing procedure?

Hi, I'm looking for the procedure for resetting the passwords and clearing out the config on a Passport 7480, and also on a 15000. I just acquired one of each system and I'm trying to get them going.

I would imagine the process would be the same on the 6400 and 7400 series switches, and possibly a bit different on the 15K.

I have the documentation CD and have read through it a bit, but haven't found any mention of how to do this, I suspect it is not officially documented.

My understanding from reading the docs is that on a fresh CP, there is no login of any kind, and it just drops you into operational mode after booting. Then you can "start prov" to go into provisioning mode. Then you create user accounts (I forget whether the user account creation is done in provisioning mode or operational mode)

I imagine there is a file written to the drive with the user account info.

I've tried a few things so far like hitting ctrl-c or ctrl-break during the boot process to try to stop the boot process and get to a monitor prompt, but no luck so far. Given that the underlying OS is VxWorks I figured I might be able to get to a VxWorks boot monitor prompt.

If it comes to it I guess I could send out the CP to somebody to plug into an active switch as a secondary and overwrite, or buy a new CP with no passwords, but I'd like to resolve it in-house if possible.

Anybody know how?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
expedienttel
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.