Paging amp and speakers

Howdy,

I am wondering about speakers connected to a paging amp. How do I go about figuring out how many speakers can be connected to a paging amp? Basic math and common sense tells me that a 35 watt amp will be able to drive 5 seven watt speakers. Is this correct? Is this one of those circumstances where they say the Amp is 35 watts, but really it is only 20 watts. Then again, I know that sometimes the speakers wattage is measured in RMS or something and what seems like a maximum of 5 speakers is really 10.

So, how do I figure out how many speakers I can connect to my Bogen TPU35B?

Thanks in advance,

John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

That has a 70 volt output. That type of output exists so you can feed speakers very far away - 1000+ feet. Also so you can feed many - maybe

60 to 80 or more if you were just playing quiet soothing background music without paging. In a warehouse, you might feed 10 to 15 horns that would be loud enough for paging

The speakers must have a "70volt transformer" - 70v amp would fry the speaker or at least load the thing down real far. That transformer will have 3 to 5 "taps" or wires, each one being louder and a greater load. The taps will be identified as "quarter watt, half watt, up to 2 watts probably. Those WATT numbers cannot exceed 35 when added.

Of course, there is a normal speaker output - 16 ohms is what I see on the spec I found online. In that case, I think you just wire in series parallel as to not end up lower than 8 ohms (my guess the amp is quite durable) and if you can hear, that's good.

Go 70 volts...that is the standard.

Reply to
GHTROUT

Yes and no. You don't want to be the one closest to a trumpet tapped at 7 watts. In general practice, 3-5 amps feeds a trumpet and 1-2 amps feed ceiling speakers very well.

Three methods, Math, trial and error, and an Impedance bridge or a combination of the 3. I hear the new impedance bridges are digital and pretty slick and TPU 60's aren't very expensive either. .

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

That tells me what I needed to know. I found out that the speck I was looking at for the speaker was adding all of the possible taps on the speaker tranformer to arrive at the 7 watts they were reporting. I would not have figured that out if you hadn't pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for the information. I don't know what I'd do without you guys helping me out.

John

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.