Nortel Modular ICS

Hi

A customer of mine has a Nortel Modular ICS with BRA cards and they are thinking of upgrading to Primary rate. Obviously a PRA card is required which I can get & I know how to program the system. My question is, does installing the card & changing the card type from BRA to PRA default the system? I can't remember the answer to this. I have no need to default the system as they already have a number range of XXX X100 and the extension numbers start at 100.

Is it just a matter of swapping the card? Please advise your suggestions.

TIA

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin
Loading thread data ...

BRA ?, PRA ?

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

BRI & PRI

Both ISDN(Integrated Services Data Network)

BRI (Basic Rate Interface)2@64K Bearer channels 1@16K Delta Channel

PRI (Primary Rate Interface)23@64k Bearer channels 1@64K Delta channel

European E-1 PRI 30@64k Bearer channels 2@64k Delta channels

I cannot remember if you use a seperate sevices card with BRI or if it was merged onto the BRI card, so you may need a Services card or Fiber expantion / Services Combo card.

You will also need a PRI enabler Key Code from Nortel.

Other than that I think you should be fine.

Many technicians choose to reinitialize their MICS after a conversion to PRI because it is easier to setup DID extentions with a DID initial setup.

All your target lines and received digits will already be programmed and assigned to sets if you initialize as DID

Reply to
XBarNone

TYPE-O

ISDN (Integrated Services DIGITAL Network)

Reply to
XBarNone

Thanks XBarNone

There is already a services card (which is a separate card) required for the BRI and does not need changing for PRI.

The customer already has DID's set up as they are using the BRI. However they are all mixed up (DID's do NOT match extension numbers - don't ask me why, I've recently been asked to do the upgrade to PRI and have never seen this particular system before). Since staff members have business cards etc with these mixed up numbers, they want to keep it that way.

So by just swapping the card to PRI and changing the settings, will the system want to default? Because that will mean reprogramming almost every station to the original DID? It would be nice to know beforehand.

I have done a number of PSTN only systems to PRI before where certainly defaulting and starting from scratch is the only practical option for precisely the reasons you stated.

TIA

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.