Nortel i2004 Ip phone and it external computer port

Does any one know if its possible/how to set the Vlan and untag the computer port of a i2004 w phone. The issue is that alot of network card can't handle the Tagged frames. New NICs (dell laptops tested) work fine but if you have one that is more then one year old chances are the computer will not work at all. Any work arounds would be usefull too. I'm looking at using a managed switch to strip the tag but that seems like a huge waste.

Reply to
joe.gauthier
Loading thread data ...

You ask a very very important question. I have been asking how this works for a number of months to my Nortel support crew. The only thing that has helped so far was a pre-sales engineering document that was titled 'i2002/i2004 DHCP w/ Auto VLAN discovery'. This document explained a lot. My sales team promises there will be more information to come, and I trust they will deliver.

Basically the premise is the switch port will remain tagged, but set to not discard untagged frames. The phone will learn the appropriate VLAN to tag its frames with through DHCP. The workstation will transmit untagged frames that will be forwarded into the default VLAN (or PVID) on the upstream switch port. I am still a little unclear on how the workstation will receive frames from the switch....

Now mix in 802.1x and things get even more complicated. I can not stress enough how important this is to enterprise customers who are looking into VoIP. I want to see diagrams and switch configurations, then I want to build it myself, because I am still seeing a bunch of smoke and mirrors. And to a network engineer, that makes me nervous.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

Is there a soft copy of that document available somewhere on Nortel's site? Anywhere?

Reply to
Onion Knight

I only have a hard copy. Sorry. I bet if you approached your Nortel SE, they could grab it easily. Next time I talk with mine, I will see if I can get a soft copy of it.

-mike

Reply to
Michael Roberts

Thanks to both of you. Bruce... thanks for the find - why oh why didn't I think to search for that document in Nortel France's website?!? :)

Reply to
Onion Knight

A network search finds "Nortel Networks/ Technical Tip:/ i2002/i2004 DHCP w/ Auto VLAN Discovery" dated January 2004 at:

formatting link
collateral/i2004_dhcp_process.pdf

Reply to
Bruce Uttley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.