Network Management Evaluation & Reviews

Does anyone aware of reviews of Enterprise Network Management Software available? The requirement for now is to manage networking devices such as for Cisco and Nortel devices. There are a bunch of it such as HP OpenView, SunNet Manager, and Nortel's Optivity or Cisco' Network Management , but I'm not sure what would be best in term of features, ease of use, maintainability, price, etc. Perhaps if anyone have gone thru the process and would not mind to share it, please email me or we all can share the information thru this newsgroup.

Thanks

Reply to
M. Eteum
Loading thread data ...

Try network computing.com

Reply to
rick.harris

Nada about Optivity!

Reply to
M. Eteum

None of the NMS packages are bullet proof. We use Optivity. It's setup is not intuitative;there can be a lot of manual changes/additions. When I first started with the product it was a full-time job for about 6 months(this without any training). I would recommend a "test drive" prior to purchasing. This stuff is not cheap either.

Reply to
rick.harris

I would recommend that whichever way you go, hire someone to do nothing but run the network management software full time, or be prepared to pay a consultant for frequent visits.

I used to use a couple of those products, and now I use no Enterprise Network Management Software at all. It is easier to just know what you have and manually program it into several Free/Open Source software packages to handle status monitoring / notification (such as Nagios), graphing / performance monitoring (such as MRTG, Cricket, Cacti), network registration and outlet management (LANdb, CMU NetReg) etc.

If you really want an integrated solution, have a look at OpenNMS before spending big bucks on one of the above solutions.

Reply to
Chuck R. Anderson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.