IP Phone Configuration

I've run across a couple of issues that could be considered design errors on Nortel's part. I've received the all too familiar answer "design intent".

They both relate to full DHCP mode. Out of the box, the phones - 1120e,

1140e - are DHCP full. The problem comes in when you want to use a voice VLAN. VLAN out of the box is set for none, rather than auto (or DHCP depending on FW version. This means going into the config menu on every phone when they are deployed - in my case around 700 phones. I've tried to figure out if there's a way to feed it a config command in a file via the same path as ENABLE_BT. I don't know what else is able to be adjusted via this path besides bluetooth. Kinda silly on NT's part, as most using full DHCP will set up a VLAN.

The second issue is a screwup relating to the use of DHCP option 60 - TFTP Server. Option 60 is a string. The IP sets interpret option 60 as a four octet address. The 2211 WLAN sets interpret the TFTP address correctly as a string. The IP sets - 1120e, 1140e - wind up with a wierd address as a result of interpreting the first four characters of the string as ASCII.

Anyone out there know of a way to alter the VLAN to auto via the config file? If you don't want to put it out publicly, send me an email to snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net, and I'll reply with my real address. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

What version firmware are you using? I think this was an early issue with the 1100 sets.

Reply to
Lonewolf

Someone's gonna yell at us for top posting......

1120e Firmware 0625C23, and 1140e Firmware 0625C23. The sets came to us with with whatever they were loading the beginning of this year. Out of the box, the sets are defaulted to VLAN no, and don't take the TFTP address the same way as the 2211's, and actually they don't comply with the DHCP standard for option 66 - the 2211's do. After flashing to the above FW, they still don't accept option 66 - although, I played some games with the DHCP server config on my machine at home to pass it as a 4 byte address, and they take the address correctly. I don't have that option in the production environment. The VLAN - if no on the earlier version (options were no, auto, and a VLAN value) stays no after flashing. They current firmware is no, DHCP, and a VLAN value. It's pretty stupid to force the end user to go in and configure something when it should be auto out of the box - which would hurt nothing because either you will use full, and pass "NONE" for VLAN, or you are going to have to go in, and make it partial, and you are there anyway with all the other stuff you have to config. It's just a bone headed move on their part. If there was some way to force VLAN on from the TFTP config file, I could get around the address issue on a small, non-connected LAN. Then its just "plug the phone in" for a while..... all better.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.