How to Test a Baystack 450-24t Switch

I just had a network recently drop all connections to every server and terminal across 3 branches... fun stuff. We found what had happened is one of five Nortel Baystack 450-24t switches that we had daisy chained together broke the chain. When linked to the chain it froze up the network and dropped connections across the board. I'd like to test to see if this switch is still in working order. I can do it through the com port? Any suggestions?

-Rizzo

Reply to
jimawrizzo
Loading thread data ...

Use a console cable connect to the console port and you wil get it. :P

Reply to
Dophi

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm kinda the gopher around the office used to dig up info... I should just hyperterminal into the switch? If possible (cause I'm the kid at the office) can you help me with a step by step?

Thanks in advance,

-Rizzo

Reply to
Rizzo

Use hyperterminal and set Bit per second to 9600, 8 data bit, none parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. After you see the banner of that switch, press "Ctrl" + "Y" to get into menu options.

Reply to
Dophi

Thank you so much! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

-Jim

Reply to
Rizzo

I'm also getting a "hardware error." when trying to ping a server connected to that stack when connected to port 16 on the problem switch. I know the laptop is working fine that is connected. Any thoughts?

-Rizzo

Reply to
Rizzo

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to remember that once you're logged into the switch you can press CTRL-X to get into the diagnostic menu (or something like that, I don't have one in front of me to try right now).

Reply to
none

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.