DMLT "failures"

Hi,

I've been tasked with putting together a new LAN infrastructure around 4 core stacks of 5510 switches. Each Stack has 3 switches in it. I have used 2-link DMLTs to link the stacks together.

I am testing the network with PCs pinging all of the different VLAN addresses on the switch stacks and a couple of other devices (routers, DHCP server etc) via the Multiping utility.

I have found that when I unplug a link from a DMLT all traffic is rerouted over the other link in the DMLT without any problems.

However if I power off an actual switch in a stack, that contains a DMLT link, some traffic streams do not recover.

I also get different (but consistent) results by using different NICs. i.e. NIC#1 will be able to ping some addresses but not others while NIC#2 will be able to ping addresses not seen by NIC#1 but not some addresses that that NIC#1 can!!!!!!, even when they are configured with the same IP address and patched into the same switch port and under the same test conditions. (I'm using an onboard NIC and a PCMCIA card NIC for these tests).

I can recover all traffic streams by unplug / plug in the other link of the DMLT, thereby forcing some kind of reorganisation.

Is this right?????

i.e Should all traffic streams going through a DMLT recover if a switch hosing one of the DMLT actually fails through hardware / power? All streams are recovered when a link is lost (unpatched) suggesting that the switch that has lost its physical link does some kind of reorganisation with the other DMLT hosting switch, a reorganisation which cannot be carried out if one of the switches has actually failed??.

Hope that makes sense. Any pointers would be most welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Ward
Loading thread data ...

MLT or DMLT is an extened 802.3ad. The path selection of each client connected to a switch/stack which performs MLT/DMLT is done on a SRC/DST MAC address basis. Therefore, you got different result on different NICs. The traffic should recover after a period and the lengh of this period depends on what causes this failure. When you unplug and plug a link, this action force the switch which has MLT/DMLT to re-calculate the Layer 2 path and Layer 3 routing, so you can get link recovery quickly.

Reply to
Dophi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.