Configuring mlt and vlan

Hi

i have a switch 450 with configured 5 VLAN. I need to activate MLT for file-server in a VLAN. My server has O.S. Win2000 Can i do it? Will i have any problems with other VLAN? If it is possible what settings i have to use?

Thanks for regards. Giuseppe

Reply to
Giuseppe
Loading thread data ...

This is possible, but your mileage may vary. If you are just running VLAN 5 across the MLT, just place the ports in VLAN 5. Go into the MLT configuration on the switch and place two ports in an MLT group. You may want to shut off spanning tree during this configuration as well. Enable the MLT. The menu interface on the 450s is really easy to follow, so you should be able to figure this out.

The server is where things get complicated. If you have the option, I would configure the link to be a 802.3ad compatible connection. If you have a choice between 802.3ad and 802.3ad (LACP), just choose plain

802.3ad. Nortel has claimed that MLT is backward compatible with 802.3ad without LACP enabled, so in theory this should work. If you do not have the option to configure a 802.3ad connection, you may have to play around with your different options until you find one that works. A long time ago, I had to configure a Novell server to use Cisco's fast etherchannel algorithm before I could get this to work...

Caution: I have seen this work and not work on two different servers. Good Luck!

-mike

Giuseppe wrote:

Reply to
Michael Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.