Call Pilot 4 Backup question

Just wondering does anyone have any experience with Backing up to a Network share on the Call Pilot Server or using an external USB hard drive as opposed to a SCSI Tape drive?

Reply to
AMP
Loading thread data ...

I backed CP 4.0 to a network share successfully. You need to use pass through authentication which means that you need local matching userid's and passwords defined on both of the servers. Create the share and ensure you can connect from the Call Pilot server. Assuming you can do that you should be able to fire up the back-up agent via your web interface.

Reply to
John

Yes, Exactly what John said. Furthermore, I have also had a USB 2 external HDD connected to the remote system and backed up to this. Cheers.

Reply to
Renegade

When backing up to the network (network share) does the backup overwrite old backup files or create a new backup file every time? Is there an option to have it overwrite, I know there is when backing up to tape but don't see it in the network options.

Reply to
AMP

I have the same issue, I can not find a way to have it over write. It is a new full back up file every eating almost 12 GB's of space. I asked Nortel and was told there is no way at this time to over write but I have a hard time believing that.

Reply to
John

I was able to come up with a solution/workaround what we are doing is creating 7 different backup devices, one for each day of the week and then schedule each to run a full backup each day of the week and set them to save to a separate folder on your network share (ie: 7 folders, mon, tues, wed, thur......). Create batch files which delete the contents of each folder (I created 7 one for each folder), then Use Task scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks on your server that contains the backup to schedule each batch file to run the day you want. So if you have a batch file that deletes the contents of the monday folder and want to keep 3 days of full backups then you would schedule the "delete monday" batch file to run Thursday or Friday and so on. This has been working well and you can arrange it however you prefer.

Reply to
AMP

I have set up a workaround to this we set up 7 backups with the day of the week as the name. Then each backup does a full backup to our network share (we have a folder for each day of the week). Then you create a batch file that can delete them. I set up 7 batch files and use Task Scheduler/scheduled Tasks to run each one on different days, and each batch file deletes the contents of a folder (ie. monday.bat deletes contents of folder monday). Remember it is important to check the backup history to make sure the backup was successful. So if you want 5 days backups to always be available then you schedule your batch files to run accordingly. Hopefully Nortel will give more options for their callpilot backups in the future

Reply to
AMP

Yes, we were told the same by Nortel - The backups are date/time stamped and therefore create a new file for each, unlike Symposium which simply dumps to the backup location with the same filename. I thought we were had it hard - our backups a 3.5Gb, but 12Gb?!?!?! holy crap! I have used a similar workaroundto AMP. We auto backup every Sunday night to a network location. Then early Monday morning a script sucks the backup off to a File Server that we share with lots of other groups applications. This fileserver is completely backed up to tape every Monday night. We only backup once a week because it is rare that anything changes on our system. It is primarily voice mail, but also serves voice promts for our SCCS. If I do any changes thru the week, I will force a backup when I'm done. AND, because I'm a paranoid man I often pull a backup into my portable USB hard drive on Mondays when I get to work anyways..... Oh, and don't forget to delete the old backup files once they're archived........ :o)

Reply to
Renegade
3.5Gb's ??? Strange, I thought that 12Gb's was the default size of the DB. Are you sure that you are doing full backups daily? We have approx 400 users and only use C.P. for voice mail. Now we do use desktop messaging but only about 15 people have that installed at this time.

John

Reply to
John

Hi John, sorry for the delay in answering! Yes, we only have a 3.5Gb backup and I've just double checked and it's definately a full system backup. We have CP4 at 4 different sites, each site has a variance of users but all contain the same voice prompts (we have duplicated each Contact centre right down to script intrinsics even though 2 of them handle a much smaller caller base + our 4 sites create 1 "virtual Contact Centre") Not sure why it is that yours are so much larger though, I might ask a few questions. Thanx for the input! Cheers.

Reply to
Renegade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.