bcm 400 Can one reload the OS without the Admin Password

HI,

If someone could assist us I would be grateful. We have a Nortel BCM 400, The problem we have is the administration password was lost.

I am able to run a system backup and it sends the backup to d:\\XYZ.

My questions are:

1) Can one wipe and reload the BCM OS and then load the backup .? I presume that the OS is on C and D is not cleared when formating. 2) How does one do this. The company that installed the BCM I think is not giving us good advice here. 3) Does the Telnet through the com port on the BCM require the same admin password or can it be reset from there. 4) Are there hard drives in the system that I can place in another pc and run tools to reset the windows password. Does the BCM use windows security 5) Should the OS or upgrade be proided by nortel. ?

I am very computer literate and would like to reload the OS myself and restore the backup. Unfortunately our vendor is offering to fix it at a exorbitant cost. I feel we are being exploited just to reset a password.

Nortel says I have to contact my vendor.

TIA: Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
C Hisch
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for your input.

I will stay way from formatting the hard drives. I will push to speak to second level support at nortel as I was refered to my vendor in the past.

I have just bought more voicemail licenses and we cannot install them as we don't have the security rights.

By the way I do have admin rights but it is not to the entire system just to make configuration changes but not reconfigure the box.

Can I get to pull off the backup via the USB port or terminal server ?

We did try the Supervisor and ee_adm>C Hisch wrote:

Reply to
C Hisch

Contact Nortel to reset the password or try ee_admin and PlsChqMe! (default password). supervisor/PlsChgMe! are also default user/password combinations

Do not format the drives! There are far more than C and D drives on a BCM

400. There are multiple partitions that are used for a number of different purposes (e.g upgrading). All upgrades should be sourced from Nortel and require a keycode.

The TELNET password is the same as the Unified Manager password. If you have no access contact Nortel support

Reply to
Ray

this cannot be done only for the c partition. do you have the images of BCM ? If you have the with the imaging tool _( provided by Nortel ) you can install a fresh full hard disk.

nikos

Reply to
Nikos Koulioumbis

The USB ports are not supported on the BCM at this time.

The only user access you will have is to Unified Manager, you don't have access to the embedded NT. That is only available to Nortel support.

Reply to
Lonewolf

The USB port is not supported on this current release of BCM 400 (and 200) release of software.

Use the BRU tool to backups however if you can't get into the BCM it is unlikely that you will get into BRU...!

Ray

C Hisch wrote:

Reply to
Ray

Hi,

Unfortunatly we were not provided the Images of the BCM, but I expect oiur vendor will provide us these disks if I ask for them.

With no CD on th BCM how does one restore the operating system

There are utilities that I can run on any NT 4.0 system that will reset the admin password to 1234567.

My steps forward are going to be:

1) Get the image disks 2) Remove the Hard Drive from the BCM, install it on another system to reset the admin password. 3) Try get to the Configuration backup directory and copy it off the hard drive 4) Replace the Hard Drive in the BCM 5) Hopefully the admin password will be reset and I will gain access. 6) If the above does not work, restore the OS form the Images.

Does anyone see any problem with the above ? ( I am sure our warrenty will be void )

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
C Hisch

I think your only option here is to re-image the disk and program it from scratch (unless you have a backup stored off the BCM). Without the Unified Manager password even Nortel can't get into the BCM through VNC. I believe the BCM's security is independent of the NT security and I'm not sure how the NT security works with the embedded version.

Reply to
Lonewolf

well these are for available to order from nortel , they have price like all bcm components .

nikos

Reply to
Nikos Koulioumbis

Hi,

Just to keep people updated. I have escalated this at Nortel, I seem to be getting to the correct people. I will keep you informed once I find the solution.

Reply to
C Hisch

USER PASSWORD

ee_admin eedge

supervisor visor

Reply to
acewarlock

HI,

Just a quick update, we still don't have access to the system. But from what I have learnt about the design of the system I feel that removing the hard drive and extracting the backup and reseting the admin password can be done.

I have not been given the authority to do this as the system is under warrently. I will post an update .

Reply to
C Hisch

Clone or ghost the drive 1st before starting to change passwords that way of you make a mess you'll have a back-up. Remember some times you cannot access secure files after changing a password.

Reply to
XBarNone

Hi,

I have not forgotten to update, we still cannot get into the bcm.

We have new users starting but cannot add our voicemail license key. Does anyone know how to add a key code without the Admin password ?

Reply to
C Hisch

This may be stupid but.... have you tried all the passwords that are setup on the system at the start?

ilan.soudack(NOSPAM)@scius-dot-com

let me know if i can help

416-352-8836
Reply to
Ilan Soudack

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, We did but got nowhere.

Right now we have escalated it at Nortel as far as we can. My client is not a small company, but yet nortel management will not budge on thier position that there is no way in. I don't buy it!!!

As there is legal proceedings taking place I will not try any method that is not authorized by Nortel. But though some basic tests I am 90% sure by removing the harddrive from the BCM I could reset or gain access to the config backup.

At this point my client is about to seek damages and losses from the Nortel Authoized Phone company that will not give us the admin password. In the end nobody wins but the lawyers.

Reply to
C Hisch

What Ver of BCM 400??

Reply to
acewarlock

There are 2 OS in the BCM, 1 is the NT4 and the other is the BCM. The Passwords are in the BCM OS not the NT4 OS. Before you do any thing to the hard drive, you should do a Disk Image first. I use Ghost to qreat a backup of the original Drive incase I need to set it back to new.

Reply to
acewarlock

Hi,

After contacting the highest person I could at Nortel, I was told that it was impossible to retrieve the ee_admin password.

As this was going to cost my company thousands of dollars I decided to take things into my own hand and work on obtaining the password through Windows NT's security issues.

I am pleased to report that I was able to get the password. By the way the utilities that reset the NT passwords do not work, one has to get the BCM password .

I am please to help people on an individual basis but I will not be posting how I did it for security reasons.

I dont' check the reply email account that oftern so keep sending your request and I will get back to you.

Reply to
C Hisch

justzikle had written this in response to

formatting link
: Hi Hisch, need you help...i have a BCM400 system hvaing following problem

i cannot login wither through LAN or through digital set, i cannot ping BCM either from LAN1/Lan2, i also checked it by connecting my laptop directly to BCM400.Element manager cannot be loaded and shows PAGE NOT FOUND error, when i try to login through digital tel set it shows PLEASE WAIT and after that an INVALID message appears. BCM fornt panel LED`s are continue flashing. However system is working OK,all extension/Trunks/TIE PRI (connected with CS1000E) working fine. Please help me out how can i remove this problem and login into BCM..

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

C Hisch wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
justzikle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.