5510 Layer 3 redundancy problem

Please excuse that I also posted this to comp.dcom.sys.bay-networks

Having some problems setting up a stack of 5510's in a redundant Layer

3 configuration.

In my test lab (2) 5510's are stacked to make up the core. Both access layer switches (also L3 5510's) have a Multi-Link Trunk consisting of two interfaces back to the core. The MLT's are configured to act as Point-to-Point links by using a unique VLAN between the core and each access layer switch. Other VLANs exist on each access layer switch but do not extend their broadcast domains into the core. Static routes are configured on each device for each subnet (5510's do not yet support OSPF.) When all devices are operational everything works including failover on the MLT's. Pull any ethernet cable and the network converges just fine. However, if the "Master" of the stack loses power it no longer routes IP. L2 connectivity works just fine but IP routing dies.

If I log into the secondary switch in the stack, disjoin it from the stack, issue the following command - "no ip blocking", reboot and issue the "ip routing" command I can make routing work by pointing the client's gateway to the new stand along switch IP (NOT the stack IP.)

Any suggestions? Logic (and Nortel documentation) tells me that when the master fails another device in the stack will assume the role and the network should converge.

Reply to
FoosYou
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.