Tough choice on Harmony remotes

Too many remotes! My components are: a Sony SD TV, a Yamaha receiver, a Scientific Atlanta STB (SD), a Sony VCR, and a Pioneer DVD player, with remotes for each, and I want to replace all of these with one Harmony remote. Also, I'm very strongly considering replacing my STB with a PVR, and sometime next year I'll be starting research on which HDTV to buy.

I initially considered the 659, but when I noticed it had no chapter/track skip button, I decided against it (seems a dumb thing to omit on a remote control!). The design/layout of the 688 and the 880 are unappealing to me. Right now, I'm considering either the 676 or the 680. I'm also considering waiting for the 520 to come out, as it's miles cheaper, and although a bit more limited in functionality, seems like it can do everything I need.

Does anyone have the 676 or the 680? On the Logitech website, they don't seem different at all, just a mildly different layout is all. Or is it worth waiting for the 520? All three can handle a PVR easily, or so I understand.

Considering my needs, what do you think is the better buy?

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij
Loading thread data ...

I've had the 659 for almost two years. The chapter buttons are in the programmable soft buttons. For that matter, you can also map almost any of the hard buttons to any function you want.

A Harmony tech support person told me that essentially all the Harmony remotes have the same functionality; the differences are primarily in the layout of the buttons.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Michelle, I know that those chapter/track skip buttons can be programmed, but I'd rather they were just *there*. I mean, every other remote in the world has them. I don't want to have to program that for each remote I want to replace, and then have to remember where they are. I would rather the button with the little black arrows was actually there, very close to the play, pause, ffwd, rew, stop, and rec buttons. It just makes more sense to have them in the same cluster.

I dunno. Just me. Any 676 or 680 users out there can give me their opinion? Remotecentral.com has only five user reviews TOTAL for these two remotes!

Reply to
vij

How many DVD players do you have in the same system?

For most brands and models, all you have to do to program the Harmony remote (regardless of the model) is tell the web site which make and model it is, connct the Harmony remote to the computer's USB port make a few mouse clicks and wait a few moments.

And, as I said, you can reprogram the buttons to be all the same. For that matter, you can program the channel up/down button to be chapter back and chapter forward. Those buttons, and the number buttons, aren't used for playing a DVD anyway.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Thanks for the suggestion, Michelle. Still can't see myself going with the

659 though, as the prices on the 676 and 680 are just a tiny hair above it anyway. And I'd rather have the play/pause/stop/etc. (those are called the transport buttons, yeah?) somewhere besides the bottom of the remote. I'd get used to it eventually, of course, but I just prefer them to be closer to the middle; easier to get to, I guess.
Reply to
vij

I wasn't saying that the 659 is preferable to the other models; all the models have the same functionality, but with different positioning of the buttons and some other minor changes in the buttons.

My suggestions will work for any model of the Harmony remotes.

I ordered my 659 almost two years ago when it was the only model that's still in the current line up. I'm probably going to order the model with the color display when I'm at MacWorld Expo in January--they've been discounting them heavily there the past two times.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I have a 768 and an 880. I like the soft buttons on the 880, it makes it easy to get to all of the less used commands for the different devices. For the chapter buttons, as all have mentioned, any button can be reprogrammed. I like the idea of using the channel up/down for this since they are not needed during the DVD function.

Reply to
L Alpert

Hi, Same here I'd like to combine all in one universal remote control. My set up is Panasonic Viera Plasma HDTV, Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver. DVD player, VCR and Karaoke(DVD player: may have to use own remote for singing). Any suggestions on easy to use remote control? TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.