Toslink to toslink cable

Is there any difference between a toslink to toslink cable and a digital optical cable for connecting between a dvd player and a 5.1 ch. home theatre system?Also what type of cable should be used with a digital audio out on a dvd player and the home theatre? Would standard co-ax be ok?

Reply to
mwebsurfer
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Edwards

No real functional difference. Some swear "digital" coax sounds better than TOSLINK and vice-versa, but I doubt anyone could honestly tell the difference in a blind audio test.

As far as practical concerns, TOSLINK's fiber optic signal path cannot be effected by EMI (electromagnetic interference); however it is not quite as robust as coax (if the fiber is somehow kinked, just like a water hose, the medium will stop flowing.) Conversely, quality coax is extemely durable and still very resistant to EMI due to its shielding, but...

A caveat with coax is that RCA jack's were developed in the 1930's for the phonograph, and typically do not achieve the 75 ohm spec for today's a/v connections. Canare makes high-quality RCA plugs that they advertise as "true 75 ohm connectors." You can buy broadcast quality Canare or Belden coax terminated with Canare from bluejeanscable (or me) for about $12-15 (3' to 6'). You can do a little better on TOSLINK from lifatec.com at about $11-13.

It's really a matter of personal preference. One last bit of advice, I've never had a TOSLINK cable break, but have had the connectors pop out of devices while being shuffled around; however I have had several RCA cables break (yes even the "monstrous" kind) due to crappy solder joints between the wires & RCA plug (which is why I now roll my own with Canare components). Canare not only meets the 75 ohm spec, but also do not pop off unless you physically pull them off.

Good luck, Jeff

formatting link

mwebsurfer wrote:

Reply to
1080me.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.