Surround Sound Speaker PLacement

Hello -

Santa's bringing me a surround sound system to hook up to my 65" HDTV in the room shown below. Adjust width on your screen until the room looks like a giant cross.

This is the bonus room over my garage, and is 30x22 at the longest and widest. The diagram gets the shape and relative dimensions fairly well.

Most of the TV watching is from the two chairs, with overflow seating on the sofa.

i'm planning on 5.1 surround sound (that is Santa is planning on 5.1 surround sound). WHere should the two back speakers go?

Thanks for your advice

El Penguini - Patron Saint of Penguins

xxxxxxDDOOOORRxxxxxx x x x TV x x S x x O x x F x x A x x x x x x x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx XXXXXXXXXXXXX x x x CHair x x x x x x x x x x x x x x Chair x x Pool x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Table x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reply to
El Penguini
Loading thread data ...

I don't understand your diagrams, but the key to surround speaker placement is to place the rear speakers to the sides, not to the rear of your listening position. Place the front speakers about 1/4 of the room width in from the side walls.

I think one of the most effective rear speaker placements is in the ceiling over your listening position, but I have as yet to do this in my own setup.

Gary Eickmeier

Reply to
Gary Eickmeier

The problem with ceiling surrounds is that you can tell they are above you, and the surround doesn't "wrap" as well. The idea behind surround speakers is to create a diffuse sound field, actually two of them, Ls and Rs, but that it shouldn't be a point source for film surround. That's what's behind dipole surround speakers. In the practical home system, you have two or four surround speakers that are so close to the listener that he will localize them. Ceiling speakers tend to be highly directional, that's why manufacturers are trying to do directable tweeters,etc. We've done ceiling surrounds, but only with wide dispersion speakers, like some of the SpeakerCraft models. Typical is a 30 degree angle, we need more like 80 or

1. >
Reply to
PHTman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.