Subwoofer hook-up

I have a question that might sound elementary......... But I am audio challenged!

I have a set of 5 speakers (8ohm if that matters) and a subwoofer from a Pioneer HTS where the amp/receiver has blown out. I picked up a Yamaha HTR5840 to replace it, and the subwoofer OUT on it is a female RCA jack. I spliced an RCA jack to the +/- speaker wires from the subwoofer and plugged that in to the amp/receiver but No Bass?

I have set up the subwoof thru the amp/receiver setup program.

Reading thru some previous threads is sounds like I have a "passive" subwoof as opposed to a "powered" one. Is there any way to make a "passive" one work with the new amp/receiver with some type of adapter? Or just get a new powered subwoof?

I appreciate any insight to this...........

Reply to
BogieBob
Loading thread data ...

Your assumption is correct. You will need a new sub.

Reply to
L Alpert

Get the powered sub. The difference will be very noticeable.

Reply to
Robin

Hi, If your sub does not have AC power plug, it is not amplified. Also there is two input level: one speaker level which is high level, the other RCA which is low level signal. If you have speaker level input jack on your sub you can tap this into left channel main speaker output terminal. Bass sound does not really have stereo image. Conventionally it's tapped into left channel. Or buy a powered sub and plug it into LFE jack on your amp. Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.