Sub Cable and Y Splitter?

Curious if anyone might be able to shed some light on this...I just picked up a very lightly used set of Atlantic Technology T 70 5.1 speakers, including the sub. I have an aging Sony STR-DE945 receiver that has two RCA outputs to power 2 subs. I have one output already going to a Velodyne sub.

My question is, the guy I got the Atlantic Tech speakers from also through in his Liberty sub cable. It is an RCA type plug, but it also has a Y splitter with it that he says he had connected to the L/Mono AND right sub input? With my Velodyn, I just have the sub cable running into the L/Mono input of the sub. I looked at the setup diagrams for the T 70 sub, and it shows using a Y splitter at the receiver inputs for some setups, but nothing at the sub inputs. I'm a little worried about trying his suggested setup, since I've always just run the sub cable in the the L/Mono input of the sub. I always did wonder why there were a L/Mono and an Right input on the subs I've seen though.

Is there any benefit to using the Y splitter to connect the receiver's output to both the L/Mono and RIght inputs on the sub? Sorry to ramble on earlier...that's my real question.

Thanks for any help figuring this out...I'm curious if there is any benefit to having both inputs connected.

Reply to
billy
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.