speaker advice

Hi, I have a denon 2804 receiver with definitive technology pro 100 speakers. I would like to replace the satellites with a set of towers for music. Any recommendations? something that will enhance my music but still match the surrounds for movies? 1000 or less would be nice. thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
David McDaniel
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Basically New England vs. California speakers. They have very distinct characteristics. For Music, how about Polk, Boston Acoustics? Stick with brand name. You have to watch impedance, SPL, and frequency response. For that budget I am sure you have quite a few choice. My towers are Mirage pair. And don't get carried away with how many speakers are in the enclosure. It's not the case of the more, the better. Audition as many as you can and good shops will let you try them in your place before you decide to buy. Good luck, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I agree with Tony - listen and buy what sounds best. One consideration is your space limitations. Also there's the SAF to consider (spouse acceptance factor!!!).

I also would not worry about matching the surrounds. It's the center that you need to match. The surrounds don't carry enough information to make all that much of a difference - and none at all at your price point.

Some other considerations: Energy, Magnapan (see cautions re: space and SAF), NHT. Here's a link to cnet suggestions:

formatting link
Have fun. Nothing better than shopping for new gear.

Reply to
yustr

Reply to
Dr Nick

Reply to
David McDaniel

I've not heard them so I really can't make a recommendation. I would lean to getting the one that matched the fronts, assuming you're going with Klipsch there too; e.g. 52 with 52, 62 with 62. There's a reason Klipsch designed them that way. (Hopefully it's not only a marketing reason.) I usually don't care for the sound of ported speakers, especially as the center. But unless you invite me over for a movie (I'll bring the popcorn!) it won't be me listiening to them.

Ask if you can take them home for a weekend trial. Or if they have a

100% return policy.

Have fun.

Reply to
yustr

Reply to
David McDaniel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.