Sony STR-DE925 receiver problem playing TV in Dolby Digital

Equipment: Sony STR-DE925 Receiver Sony SXRD 60" Grand Wega DirectTV HDTV Receiver

I am having problems trying to play regular TV shows in Dolby Digital on this receiver. I ran all of the a/v RCA cables from the HDTV into the Sony STR receiver and hooked in a Monster Optical cord from the DirecTv into the TV input on the Sony receiver. I can get regular TV brodcast to play in stereo PCM, however the Optical is reading 'unlock'. Tried running connections several different ways (including straight from the Wega into the Sony receiver) and nothing is working to give me DD sound.

First of all is this possible? I don't know a lot about DD but basically I was under the belief that when regular TV shows say 'Dolby Digital 5.1 where available' that my Sony receiver would automatically switch over to DD like it does when I play DVD's. Do TV shows work this way? Should the receiver automatically detect and swith over to DD from Stero PCM?

Second anyone know what connections I may have made that are wrong?

Reply to
Dan2330
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.