Samsung HLR5078 DLP TV <--- Any thoughts???

Hi. I'm in the process of looking for my first HDTV. I decided on DLP for a variety of reasons (please don't tell me to go for Plasma or LCD :-) ). Any thoughts about the Samsung HLR 5078W? It's got a 1080p screen that looks pretty nice in the showroom. Anythings I should worry about?

Thanks.

Reply to
Maimon Mons
Loading thread data ...

I have the 46" model 63 DLP and love it.

I would consider getting an extended warranty just to be sure. Normally

I avoid them but this is a new model.

Go for it. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Reply to
yustr

I've trusted Samsung for years and I like DLP. Just make sure you have an HD source like digital cable or satellite to get the most out of your investment. DVD is NOT an HD source.

Reply to
ebackhus

Actually, I'm primarily going to be using standard cable (not HD) at least for the first year, supplemented by DVDs. How do these models fare with analogue video sources?

Reply to
Maimon Mons

I used to sell the samsung. On over-the-air analogue, it will look fair from a fair distance(10'-12'). The remotes were the biggest issue with me, but that's really nit-picking considering the potential of that DLP. Do me two favors: Get something other than digital cable(unless it were HD) to watch in the meantime. By a backlight to pop on the back of the set. It makes the picture really snap.

Reply to
nselson

There are some upconvertors out there that can enhance the picture of

analog broadcast and cable rather well. I think Consumer Reports

magazine did a recent review of some. And some TV's themselves have

that capability built-in.

Reply to
ebackhus

A backlight is just that. It is a low wattage incandescent fixture that sits on the floor, on a stand, or attaches with adhesive to the back of the set. They are relatively small and they rim the picture with backlight. This gives the picture a higher perceived contrast; and helps prevent headaches from eyestrain. You can get an idea of what they do by illuminating only the wall behind the TV with an up-light, or track lighting while you watch. These were made for DLP sets like the Samsung.

Reply to
nselson

I'm pretty sure my cable system provider is sending over an analogue signal. I never see any digital artifacts, and it's rendering quite nice on my 10+ year old TV.

What is a backlight?

Reply to
Maimon Mons

I guess I'll ask the salesperson over at the store if it's a necessary item. Any idea if I would need it with this Samsung model, or if it's done by the TV itself?

Reply to
Maimon Mons

The only problem is managing expectations: it only looks good until you

see something on HD and then it's almost unwatchable....Once you've

tasted Guiness it's hard to drink Coors....

Well not really but HD is a MAJOR jump in resolution. But, after a few

minutes on a SD feed, my eye adjusts and it becomes a good (but not

great) picture. (BTW: I have a 46" Samsung DLP HDTV not a plasma. I

think the same principle would apply.)

Reply to
yustr

Thanks for all your help (you, too, yustr & ebackhus). I just purchased the Samsung HL-R5078, and it will arrive on Tuesday. :-) I also picked up the Denon AVR-2106 amplifier/receiver. Time will only tell if I made a mistake. ;-)

You guys (and just about everyone else on this newsgroup) restored my faith in usenet.

Reply to
Maimon Mons

Did you get your TV how do you like it? Is standard def TV OK with it?

Reply to
jp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.