Question for you Home Theatre Veterans

I have a relatively crude home theatre setup by modern standards but it makes my ears and eyes happy. I have an old RXV-990 reciever and a wall full of mirage speakers, a nice subwoofer and nicer rears. My wife left and took the DVD player. So I need a new DVD player and thought it would be nice if it was a Combo VCR also since the kids like to watch their Baby Genius videos...

But all the DVD players I can find (haven't had time to look everywhere yet) have only an optical output for the 5.1 format. My old reviever needs indepent RCA inputs for each channel. Is there a relatively inexpensive DVD player out there that will meet my needs? Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
No Twilight
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Just plain DVD/VCR combo for less than 100.00 will have composite output jacks.(r-w-y) Like LG, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The 990 required the use of an external processor to decode the sound track before sending it to the Yam for amplification.

There are Universal DVD players that will do the processing. Mine does that for SACD and DVD-Audio music disks. I let my receiver decode the DD/DTS sound tracks of movies. But I doubt you'll find a DVD/VCR combo player that will do it.

There were planty of external processors on the market back in the late

90's. Maybe try to find one of these on ebay...
Reply to
yustr

yustr, Thanks. Your reply lit up the little light bulb in my brain. I remember now that when I bought the reciever I kept looking for a deal on an AC-3 decoder. Buy my laserdisk player had individual rca outputs and then I bought a sony dvd player with individual outputs and never got one. Now I see they are selling on ebay from cheap to not so cheap. A couple sold for $20 just before I looked and now the ones on there are a little more expensive--perhaps people reading this thread???

Anyway, I'll pick one up on ebay and probably have the best sound I've ever had.

Ok, followup question. I'll need an optical cable from the DVD player to the AC-3 decoder. Is there much difference. Since the signal is digital, I would think there wouldn't be any losses. They sell for $.99 on ebay and $60 for a monster cable optical link in circuit city. Any guidance? Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
No Twilight

I seriously doubt there is any difference between cables. Some how thought, $1 sounds like a rip off. Acoustic Research (AR) cables are reasonably priced and have given me very good service. Recommended. Monster is always over priced.

Reply to
yustr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.