Opinion on Denon AVR-686 or 687

Could use some recommendations on modern equipment based on what I have described below.

Not doing much with receivers in the last 20 years or so, I hear that Denon is considered one of the best for home theaters. About a year ago I was led to the AVR-686. It seems to have everything I want, but it is quite a bit less than many of the other Denon recievers. Many of the Denon home theater receivers seem to jump to over $1,000 for reasons I don't seem to see.

I want to have the 7.1 capability (although I will probably start with setting it up as a 5.1). I have 2 DVD players (one that goes between my Motorola DVR cable box and everything else) and a separate one that I don't use much. I have a VCR and a CD. That's it. I use an old Kenwood KRV-107R receiver with Bose 2 speaker/subwoofer combo now. The reason I am looking at a new receiver is that I have a devil of a time understanding the words on TV programs. Part of it is age, I know. But it is also room acoustics and the sound content of many of the programs (with built-in background noise and holographic effects) I am thinking that the receiver does not handle the new "processed" sound coming from the new shows very well. Older movies are easier to understand the words.

Reply to
eganders
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.