need help

If your home theatre package has the same kind of video connection that your TV has, then yeah. What kind of video inputs does the TV have? It's probably just the RF cable and a single composite cable, I'm guessing. So the video would probably be the composite video cable from the player/receiver to the TV, and the audio would go from the player/receiver directly to the 5.1 speaker setup.

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij
Loading thread data ...

I have a old tv (Sylvania) with just audio and video inputs. Is there any way to hook up a philips home theater package to it??

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Reply to
Big Monkey

the tv has red, white, and yellow input plug ins and it also has a 's" video input plug in.

Reply to
Big Monkey

The red and white are for the left and right audio cables. The yellow one is for a single composite video cable. And the S-video one is just that.

So for video, use an S-video cable going from your HTB to the TV. If by some wacky chance your HTB doesn't have s-video out, use a single composite cable instead.

And for audio, it's already done. The 5.1 speaker setup is connected directly to your HTB.

Boom! Done!

So tell us how it looks/sounds . . .

Reply to
vij

If there is only the cable coming out of the wall, and into the back of the Sylvania: Plug the cable into an old VCR. You can set up a VCR to surf your cable channels, send the picture to your Sylvania(thru the yellow jack), and output the sounds to the new home theater(thru the red & white)

Reply to
nselson

Does the TV have red/white "audio out" plugs? If so, connect these to an input pair on your Phillips.

If it doesn't, are you using a decoder set top box from the cable company? If so, it will have a pair of audio output plugs. Connect these to your Phillips.

If you don't have either of these I'm afraid you're out of luck as far as listening to TV through the HT. That's because it has to be after the channel tuner has done it's thing and your HT does not have a tuner.

Reply to
yustr

But does it work for DVDs? Can you see the DVD picture and hear the DVD audio through your HTiB? The setup I described should work for DVDs, but for everything else, HTiBs can be a bit limited. They don't accommodate a variety of inputs the way that home theatre receivers do. Which HTiB do you have? How many inputs does it have, and what kind of inputs does it allow?

Without knowing the specs on your HTiB, I'm guessing that if you want the sound for cable TV to come through the HTiB, you have to do one of two things:

1. You can do the following if your TV has audio *outputs*: RF cable from the wall into the TV, then red & white RCA cables from the TV into the HTiB.
2a. RF cable somehow going into the HTiB. I have no idea if HTiBs can accommodate an RF cable; I suspect they don't. 2b. If you're using a set-top box for cable, then the RF cable would go from the wall into the set-top box, and then either red & white RCA audio cables or a digital coax/optical audio cable to the HTiB, and also an S-video cable or single composite video cable from the set-top box to the HTiB. Again, I don't know if your HTiB can accommodate all of this.

Geez . . . now *I'm* starting to get confused. I don't think it's possible to listen to cable TV through an HTiB without both a set-top box and appropriate inputs on the HTiB, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in with a suggestion. But it would still be helpful to hear about what inputs are available on your HTiB.

Good luck!

Reply to
vij

It doesn't work. My tv has audio and video inputs and the cable hooked up in back for cable tv. I'm lost and also thanks for your patience. I want my cable tv audio to come thru my htb.

thanks again for all your help.

Reply to
Big Monkey

Yup, that will work. My VCR has been out of my system for so long that

it never entered my thoughts.

That's why there's more than one of us here.

Reply to
yustr

Wouldn't you know, an old VCR is my standby fall-back answer for everything:)

Reply to
nselson

Damn! Why didn't I think of that?! Clever fellow, that nselson. : )

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.