Kenwood's VR-6050 Sub and Surround back question????

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View

I cannot find the manual anywhere for my Kenwood VR-6050,  and I know
nothing of home theater systems... please help if you know about this

I want to get a subwoofer and I do not really know what I need to look for,
I keep trying to find a manual online but am having no luck,  I find info
regarding my Receiver as being a 5x100 watt.  Does that include the sub? can
my sub handle 100watts?  I have what looks to me like, an A/V out connector
that is black and says Subwoofer and another that says Surround Back. all
have a white circle around it saying Preout. I borrowed my Parents Sub when
they were in the process of moving just to use it. I couldn't hook it up, it
had connectors that were for the normal Black and Red speaker inputs while
mine was for this A/V connector.  how do I hook a sub up to this receiver?
what is surround back? is that another connector for a sub, will this help
in improving my system?
any advice on what sub I should get for this system?  I currently have a 4
Klipsch satellite speakers and a 1 center channel.  I am using the 2 Klipsch
for usually just stereo.


Re: Kenwood's VR-6050 Sub and Surround back question????

Japskunk wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Download from

If you can't open the PDF file, download Acrobat Reader from

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No. Subwoofers typically are "active", i.e. they have an amplifier of
their own. They get only the unamplified low-frequency signal from the
receiver via Cinch.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Sounds to me like your parents have a subwoofer without amplifier. Your
receiver doesn't seem to provide an amplified subwoofer signal.

But don't worry. When you buy a subwoofer, just make sure it has a
build-in amplifier, which is the common type. Then you'll be able to
connect it with the Subwoofer Cinch (RCA) connector.

Site Timeline