Kenwood's VR-6050 Sub and Surround back question????

I cannot find the manual anywhere for my Kenwood VR-6050, and I know nothing of home theater systems... please help if you know about this receiver.

I want to get a subwoofer and I do not really know what I need to look for, I keep trying to find a manual online but am having no luck, I find info regarding my Receiver as being a 5x100 watt. Does that include the sub? can my sub handle 100watts? I have what looks to me like, an A/V out connector that is black and says Subwoofer and another that says Surround Back. all have a white circle around it saying Preout. I borrowed my Parents Sub when they were in the process of moving just to use it. I couldn't hook it up, it had connectors that were for the normal Black and Red speaker inputs while mine was for this A/V connector. how do I hook a sub up to this receiver? what is surround back? is that another connector for a sub, will this help in improving my system? any advice on what sub I should get for this system? I currently have a 4 Klipsch satellite speakers and a 1 center channel. I am using the 2 Klipsch for usually just stereo.

Thanks

Reply to
Japskunk
Loading thread data ...

Download from ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/VR6050.pdf

If you can't open the PDF file, download Acrobat Reader from

formatting link

No. Subwoofers typically are "active", i.e. they have an amplifier of their own. They get only the unamplified low-frequency signal from the receiver via Cinch.

Sounds to me like your parents have a subwoofer without amplifier. Your receiver doesn't seem to provide an amplified subwoofer signal.

But don't worry. When you buy a subwoofer, just make sure it has a build-in amplifier, which is the common type. Then you'll be able to connect it with the Subwoofer Cinch (RCA) connector.

Reply to
Eberhard Schefold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.