InFocus 4805 & bright spot on screen

My InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP projector recently started beaming a faint bright spot in the upper left quadrant, only noticeable on a very black screen, whether or not a movie is playing. There has always been a large faint halo when the lamp is about to shut off but this doesn't seem related. I've used the projector for about 100 hours.

I see no flaws in the lens glass or mirrors inside, except for scattered dust. With the projector off, when I shine a flashlight into the front of the lens I see a metal strip cutting diagonally across the upper left edge of the hole behind the glass. Nothing is cut off on the screen so I assume that's normal? I never studied it before. The picture looks as good as ever except for this brighter area. Below is an approximation of the relative brightness and shape of the defect. It sort of looks like a moth or a dumbbell but it's not as uniform as this image.

formatting link
Thanks for any clues.

Alturas

Reply to
Alturas
Loading thread data ...

I've got a nearly identical problem with mine after about 60 movies. Apparently it's dust in the light path causing glare or refraction. If you can't clean it yourself you'll have to send it in for service or hope gravity cures it; maybe tap the top cover a little? Sending it in seems like a hassle because it could happen all over.

AJ

Reply to
Fritz Wuehler

What brand of selector are you using/where did you buy it?

Reply to
not_here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.