HT Newb ?. Audio Signal in Video feed

I tried to find this problem in another post, so if I missed it, sorry.

Recently purchase a Sony AV receiver / DVD /Speaker package. I don't have the make now as I am at work. The receiver and dvd player are seperate components. I also have a hd COX dvr hooked to the receiver. The receiver out goes to a Sharp DT-400 projector.

Problem: I am getting a audio signal in my picture when playing dvds. The more "musical" the more signal. Chronicles of Riddick = almost nothing. Star Wars PM = worse when the orchestra gets going. Rush in Rio (concert video) = very very bad. The signal manifests as red and yellow (mostly red) horizontal lines going across the screen to the beat of the music.

I am using composite cables (high end THX certified) for video and coaxil for audio. I can also use HDMI or analog, but dont want to analog and can't figure out how to get the HDMI to work. Also have optical option for audio as well as stereo.

What's trippy is that I have totally disconnected the sound from the dvd player and the distortion is still there in rhythm with the beat. With no audio at all hooked up, only composite video! I have also switched out the composite cables with a different type (less high end). I have also changed the video in port from dvd in to video 2 in and video 3 in.

I am not getting this problem from the hd cox dvr.

Since I want help and not pride :) I might as well admit that the receiver and dvd both have tons of menu settings that I screwed around that I dont understand. I did do a master rest on both though the set the settings back to factory defaults.

Thanks for any advice. Don't worry about admonishments, my wife has taken care of that.

My guess is that the dvd component needs replacement.

GL

Reply to
greenlizard
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.