How to assess used Plasma Monitor/TV?

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
I am in the market for a 42" Plasma unit. I have heard a lot of great things
and some not-so-great things about Plasma units though. Is there anyway to
determine how much a specific unit has been used/viewed... for example... do
any particular brands/models have a built-in, unmodifiable timer that can be
selected from a menu to show how long the unit has been on over it's
lifetime?... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well!

TIA,
Chip




Re: How to assess used Plasma Monitor/TV?
Yes - the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma (both HD & ED models) say that you can
check the viewing hours. I haven't done it yet, but the book says it's
possible.

> I am in the market for a 42" Plasma unit. I have heard a lot of great
things
> and some not-so-great things about Plasma units though. Is there anyway to
> determine how much a specific unit has been used/viewed... for example...
do
> any particular brands/models have a built-in, unmodifiable timer that can
be
> selected from a menu to show how long the unit has been on over it's
> lifetime?... Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well!
>
> TIA,
> Chip
>
>




Re: How to assess used Plasma Monitor/TV?
> Yes - the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma (both HD & ED models) say that you can
> check the viewing hours. I haven't done it yet, but the book says it's
> possible.
>

Thanks Wellsie! Anyone have any idea how to assign some reasonable value
deduction per hour/minute of usage or some such guideline?

What is the typical life-expectancy for a Plasma unit?

TIA!
Chip




Re: How to assess used Plasma Monitor/TV?
> > Yes - the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma (both HD & ED models) say that you
can
> > check the viewing hours. I haven't done it yet, but the book says it's
> > possible.
> >
>
> Thanks Wellsie! Anyone have any idea how to assign some reasonable value
> deduction per hour/minute of usage or some such guideline?
>
> What is the typical life-expectancy for a Plasma unit?
>
> TIA!
> Chip
>

Found what seems to be a reasonable answer...

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

"As for the specific life spans of individual plasma display units, most
manufacturers contend that their TVs last approximately 30,000 hours before
reaching their half-lives under "normal" viewing conditions (i.e., with the
CONTRAST set at around 50%). Recently, several manufacturers, most notably
Sony and Panasonic, have begun to claim that their newest plasma display
panels now have half-lives of 60,000 hours. I, for one, am a bit skeptical
of such assertions, if only because this would represent a 100% increase in
the life of the product. While I realize that much is being done to increase
the life spans of plasma TVs (such as increasing the resiliency of green
phosphors), I'll believe these figures when I see them achieved in real
life, not just theoretically.

From the consumer's perspective, though, the 30,000-hour figure should be
comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in
perspective: Assuming the average American household watches 4 to 6 hours of
television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If
you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck."




Re: How to assess used Plasma Monitor/TV?
You're welcome, Chip, and this information was very helpful and reassuring.


> > > Yes - the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma (both HD & ED models) say that you
> can
> > > check the viewing hours. I haven't done it yet, but the book says it's
> > > possible.
> > >
> >
> > Thanks Wellsie! Anyone have any idea how to assign some reasonable value
> > deduction per hour/minute of usage or some such guideline?
> >
> > What is the typical life-expectancy for a Plasma unit?
> >
> > TIA!
> > Chip
> >
>
> Found what seems to be a reasonable answer...
>
> http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html
>
> "As for the specific life spans of individual plasma display units, most
> manufacturers contend that their TVs last approximately 30,000 hours
before
> reaching their half-lives under "normal" viewing conditions (i.e., with
the
> CONTRAST set at around 50%). Recently, several manufacturers, most notably
> Sony and Panasonic, have begun to claim that their newest plasma display
> panels now have half-lives of 60,000 hours. I, for one, am a bit skeptical
> of such assertions, if only because this would represent a 100% increase
in
> the life of the product. While I realize that much is being done to
increase
> the life spans of plasma TVs (such as increasing the resiliency of green
> phosphors), I'll believe these figures when I see them achieved in real
> life, not just theoretically.
>
> From the consumer's perspective, though, the 30,000-hour figure should be
> comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in
> perspective: Assuming the average American household watches 4 to 6 hours
of
> television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If
> you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck."
>
>




Site Timeline