Hookup DVD through A/V receiver

My TV has enough component hookups to accept a few different video sources (DVD, cable box, etc.). I'm using component hookups to go from DVD to TV, cable to TV, etc. Is there any reason that I want to go from DVD to A/V receiver to TV rather than just DVD to TV for the component (video only)? Obviously, I want to run the sound through the receiver. Is the only advantage the ability to control all sources through the receiver? Thanks, LG

Reply to
LG
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, pretty much. But only if your receiver has video upconversion. I configured my gear so that ALL video and audio go to the receiver. If I didn't, I'd have to switch sources at the TV *and* the receiver. But this way, I switch only at the receiver. It does require an extra set of component cables, but I still think it's simpler. And it's not like the receiver's going to degrade the signal, so I find it convenient to route everything through the receiver. My two cents.

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

Why "But only if your receiver has video upconversion."? I am new to all this after my 50" 10 year old Toshiba power supply went belly up a week ago. I will have a HDTV STB from the cable co. with component out to my Yamaha switching amp. but the amp. does not upconvert. I have a DVD player with component out that I intend to run to the amp. The output from the amp to the HDTV will be through the monitor component out. Any other video sources will route through the amp. with a corresponding out of like type to the HDTV. Doesn't this plan work???

Reply to
JKad

Okay, yeah, I misread what you wrote; I see that now. Video upconversion is needed if you've got connections of different types going into your receiver. For example, I've got component cable from my DVD player, S-video from my STB, and composite from my VCR. With video upconversion, all these signals will be transferred over the component cables I've got going from the receiver to the TV. If I didn't have video upconversion, then I'd need another S-video cable going from the receiver to the TV, and another composite going from the receiver to the TV.

Video upconversion just means that the lower quality signals (S-video and composite) will be relayed through the higher quality components.

Your plan does work. One of these days I'm gonna read first and make sure I've got all the facts before I spout off and look like a total bo-bo head. One of these days . . .

God, I feel like a dork.

cheers, vij

Reply to
vij

Thanks for the clarification. Before I plop down the $$ for multiple component cables (two for each input run through the amp) I just wanted to verify that the plan would work.

Reply to
JKad

"LG" wrote in news:1128711775.568416.263790 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Unless your A/V receiver has wide-band component switching designed to handle HDTV bandwidth, I'd advise against running video through it. I can get away with it in mine, but my TV isn't all that good and my stereo is, so whatever damage the stereo might be doing, the TV can't really show it. At least I couldn't see any difference.

But unless you need it (I did, I have four component devices that need to feed the TV's single input and use a three-way switch for three of them plus my stereo for the fourth).

Reply to
Dave Oldridge

Hi, To take advantage of upconversion, he meant to go thru the amp. Whatever works for you. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Either way will work. My issue (problem?) is with the OWMBO***.

*** One Who Must Be Obeyed (aka Wife).

When she watches anything but a movie on our TV, she does not want to

use the HT system. So inorder for her to see and hear anything I have

to feed the TV from the indivisual sources.

Reply to
yustr

Just tell her it doesn't work that way.

Reply to
Robin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.