Home theatre buying advice

Hi Guys, I have been doin a lot of looking out for a home theatre system within a budget of 500 dollars.

Most of the 5.1's(satellite speakers) dont sound good(very hollow,poor bass) when audio music is played.

I listen to more of audio music than watch movies, so that's a prioirty.

I have checked out a lot of models like the yamahas(ht 165), sony(dream theatre series), etc. Im mean the models that are under the stipulated budget.They sound great for movies but for music a big no no.

The only thing that impressed me was the JVC(New TH series) latest model with Tower front speakers with about 11 grand of output watts. It

sounded excellent but im not confident about the quality/reliability of

the system.

One of the sales guys advised me to go in for a HiFi system with a 5.1 channel. I now need to check on that.

If any of you guys can give some guidance or suggest specific model it would be very helpful to make my decision.

Thanks.. Cheers Arul

Reply to
Arul
Loading thread data ...

I can tell you what I did, I was also on a tight budget:

-Refurbished AIWA theatre in a box for $249CDN from a local liquidation place. The small speakers (eventually) hit the trash can.

-A pair of NEW end-of-line Sony SS-MF500H towers for $85CDN from some electronics sale at a local convention centre.

-An off-brand centre channel, Studio Acoustics SA6.5C, for $50CDN at a local electronics store's "yard sale."

-Brand new end-of-line (I think) Energy C-50 rear speakers, $125 after bickering with the sales guy.

So, $509CDN, and voila. It takes time, this was over a span of two years because a deal on everything can't be had all at once. I had to deal with the crappy speakers that came with the HTIAB until I replaced them, but in the end I think it was worth it. I'm still waiting for a deal on a sub, my eyes are always open.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Hi,

300.00 for speaker package, 200.00 for an amp. It's possible to have decent 2nd hand ones.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Perhaps moving the overall price up abit. But how about the Onkyo 503 or

573 (XM ready), on sale at Circuit City now ($285 & $380, respectively). I happen to be an Onkyo fan. Good audio for both music & movies.

Or Onecall has the complete Athena Point 5 Mark II 5.1 speaker system for $199 plus shipping (about $35).

My suggestions are a little higher, $518 withe the 503, $614 with the 573. Everything new & warrantied. Since I listen to satellite radio & music a lot, I can vouch for the clarity of the Athenas & I'd lean toward the 573. And the Athena speaker system can handle everything well, if the op can wait till later to add a sub for truly thumping bass. I found that out when I accidentally knocked the power plug out for my sub. :-)

Or a complete Onkyo 780 7.1 system (receiver, speakers & sub) can be had for around $480.

Bill K

Reply to
Bill Kraski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.