Help w/ setup would be awesome

Hey, all. Trying to hook up a TV (non-HD), cable box, DVR, and surround receiver. Anyone care to take a stab at helping a semi-competent guy out?

I've got a Toshiba TV (CZ32V51). It's got coax input, one set of composite outputs, two composite inputs (VIDEO 1 & VIDEO 2), and an S-Video input.

CableVision iO Digital Cable coming in through a Cable Box (Explorer

4200). It's got coax output, one set of composite outputs, and one S-Video output.

Panasonic DVR (DMR-ES30V). Two sets of composite outputs (one DVD OUT and one DVD/VHS COMBINED OUT), one S-Video output, two composite inputs & two S-Video inputs (IN1 & IN2), coax in and coax out.

And a Sony surround receiver (STR-V220). It's got no video outputs of any kind. It does have TV/SAT, CD, and TAPE/MD inputs, and VIDEO inputs and outputs.

I've tried a few different set-ups and each usually leaves me with one problem. Either I have no surround, or no picture, or it records static, or something else isn't quite right. I come close, but I don't nail it. A couple notes: I plan on using the DVR both for watching/recording on both VHS and DVD. Also, I don't have an S-Video cable, but I could afford one if I need one for some reason. Two would be pushing it.

Additionally, I've got a Gamecube, but I've got no problems with its arrangement. It's presently sending video through the TV's VIDEO 1 input and audio through the surround receiver's TAPE/MD inputs. That arrangement poses no problems so I'm hoping I can work around it.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Reply to
joshdrmr
Loading thread data ...

Your problem is your receiver. I looked at your manual and you're right, there is no video handling at all. If you purchase no additional equipment, you're stuck with swapping your video cables every time you want to change sources. Plus, you're limited on how many audio sources can be used with that receiver. Sounds like you've outgrown your simple receiver. I think the best option for you is invest in a newer and better receiver that can handle all of your audio AND video needs. You can get something RCA for as little as $200 that will work for you. If RCA is too cheap for you, Yamaha sells a suitable one for $300. For most audiophiles, receivers of that caliber; however, are still not enough when it comes to power and bells and whistles at that price range. But for you, a $300 Yamaha is a huge step up and I'm sure you'd be quite satisfied. If you have the money, Harmon Kardon receivers can be picked very reasonably on Ebay--don't let the low wattage of the HK's fool you. They'll outperform receivers twice (in some cases, three times) their wattage.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Lane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.