Help! LG DU-42PX12X Pixel Orbitor, Does EZ SoundRite work or Not?

1=2E Does anyone have comments on this model or similar, LG 42" plasma TV's, have you notice this on your TV sets?

2=2E Does the EZ SoundRite option real work?

I have a LG HDTV plasma model DU-42PX12X (Purchased from FUTURESHOP

12/26/2005) when the orbiter is on and in the 4:3 mode (pixels) moves from left to right and down and up. I notice the top of the screen moves down to far and I get a 1/8 inch then 1/4 inch gray bar at the top. Then when it goes back up to original starting point the bar goes away.

I called LG head office in Mississauga Ontario and the service adviser said this should not be happening and referred me to one of their service depots. Well the service manager there said he had never heard of this before and sent a man out to pickup the TV. I gave him the following information to the Service manager.

UNITECH CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SERVICE

TO: Service Manager September 12, 2006

Could you please fix the follow problems?

1=2E Picture shifting issue, when orbiter is on. 2=2E "EZ SoundRite" audio volume level is not consistent.

The problems occurred under the following setups.

Display Modes: 4:3 and in the side by side picture and picture mode. Inputs signals: DVD, CATV and OTA HDTV

1=2E Initially when you turn on the Orbiter the picture shifts slightly to the right and you get a "normal picture". When the orbiter cycle begins it shifts right > right > then down creating a gray bar at the top of the screen (Aprox. 1/8"), next shift down the gray bar increases to =BC". Shifting to left twice and then up gray bar reduce to (=BC") up again and returns to normal view. The cycle will continue as long as the orbiter is "On".

I have included some photos to assist you in troubleshooting this problem. .=2E. Photo #1, 2, 3 clearly shows picture shifting issue a small grey bar at the top of the screen when in the 4:3 mode. .=2E. Photo # 4 shows picture shifting as well, but the gray bar is on the side "left" of the screen, this is in the "picture and picture mode".

2=2E "EZ SoundRite" it doesn't seem to be keeping the audio volume level consistent when watching commercials. Volume increases when watching commercials which it shouldn't, while EZ SoundRite on.

If you require any further information you can call me at 905- 279-

9573. Please keep informed on the progress of the repair as I would like to get the TV back ASAP, thank you.

Sincerely,

Jay

A week later received a call from the manager and told me that he had showed the TV to a LG representative and was told that is the way this model worked and was well in the manufactures specifications. I told the service manager that I went back to Future Shop and examined several other 42" LG plasmas with the orbiter on none showed this effect. I could not examine the same model I have because this was last years model and they only had the newer models. I asked if any of the sales reps at FS had seen anything like this before, none had and they told me to that I should contact LG right away.

I asked the service manager about the EZ SoundRite he said that it was working within spec. I told him I couldn't see the difference between it on or off. He agrees with me and said that it more of gimmick just to help sell this TV and I shouldn't expect too much of this option.

Well I thought I would share my experience with you all regarding this LG product. If anyone has anymore to add about it please let me know. Could there have been a silent recall ?

Thanks!

Jay

PS: Sorry I wasn't able to post the photos onto the group.

Reply to
biggy
Loading thread data ...
  1. Does anyone have comments on this model or similar, LG 42" plasma TV's, have you notice this on your TV sets?

1. Does the EZ SoundRite option real work?

I have a LG HDTV plasma model DU-42PX12X (Purchased from FUTURESHOP

12/26/2005) when the orbiter is on and in the 4:3 mode (pixels) moves from left to right and down and up. I notice the top of the screen moves down to far and I get a 1/8 inch then 1/4 inch gray bar at the top. Then when it goes back up to original starting point the bar goes away.

I called LG head office in Mississauga Ontario and the service adviser said this should not be happening and referred me to one of their service depots. Well the service manager there said he had never heard of this before and sent a man out to pickup the TV. I gave him the following information to the Service manager.

UNITECH CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SERVICE

TO: Service Manager September 12, 2006

Could you please fix the follow problems?

1. Picture shifting issue, when orbiter is on.
  2. "EZ SoundRite" audio volume level is not consistent.

The problems occurred under the following setups.

Display Modes: 4:3 and in the side by side picture and picture mode. Inputs signals: DVD, CATV and OTA HDTV

1. Initially when you turn on the Orbiter the picture shifts slightly to the right and you get a "normal picture". When the orbiter cycle begins it shifts right > right > then down creating a gray bar at the top of the screen (Aprox. 1/8"), next shift down the gray bar increases to ¼". Shifting to left twice and then up gray bar reduce to (¼") up again and returns to normal view. The cycle will continue as long as the orbiter is "On".

I have included some photos to assist you in troubleshooting this problem. ... Photo #1, 2, 3 clearly shows picture shifting issue a small grey bar at the top of the screen when in the 4:3 mode. ... Photo # 4 shows picture shifting as well, but the gray bar is on the side "left" of the screen, this is in the "picture and picture mode".

1. "EZ SoundRite" it doesn't seem to be keeping the audio volume level consistent when watching commercials. Volume increases when watching commercials which it shouldn't, while EZ SoundRite on.

If you require any further information you can call me at 905- 279-

9573. Please keep informed on the progress of the repair as I would like to get the TV back ASAP, thank you.

Sincerely,

Jay

A week later received a call from the manager and told me that he had showed the TV to a LG representative and was told that is the way this model worked and was well in the manufactures specifications. I told the service manager that I went back to Future Shop and examined several other 42" LG plasmas with the orbiter on none showed this effect. I could not examine the same model I have because this was last years model and they only had the newer models. I asked if any of the sales reps at FS had seen anything like this before, none had and they told me to that I should contact LG right away.

I asked the service manager about the EZ SoundRite he said that it was working within spec. I told him I couldn't see the difference between it on or off. He agrees with me and said that it more of gimmick just to help sell this TV and I shouldn't expect too much of this option.

Well I thought I would share my experience with you all regarding this LG product. If anyone has anymore to add about it please let me know. Could there have been a silent recall ?

Thanks!

Jay

PS: Sorry I wasn't able to post the photos onto the group.

Reply to
Art

Hi Art,

Thank you for your quick response and I agree with your comments, but please let me clarify myself.

In the past and present burn in is one of the plasma TVs weakness or disadvantage compared of the technologies LCD, DLP etc. The orbiter was introduced by several manufactures to help prevent burn in especially on plasma screen TV sets.

In my case while in the 4:3 mode (orbiter ON) the picture shifts off way to much. This leaves you with a very unusual "frame effect" (1/4" gray bar at top and the standard larger gray bars on the sides) which is very annoying and never seen this on any plasma TV. When the "orbiter is off" you get the standard 4:3 picture each side of picture has a gray bar, which is normal.

As I mentioned I checked out several other similar LG TV 42" plasma screens with the "orbiter on" you can not see this much movement (no frame effect), LG should have made some way to adjust this for this.

The TVs I have seen only a very slight movement which I expected but none of them move this much creating "frame effect". I sure wish I could check out another TV (same model) and see if it has this framing effect as well?

As for the EZ sound (on or off) I have ask several other friends if they could hear any difference in the audio level between commercials and norm programming none could hear any difference commercial came in LOUD. Again I think LG should have provided adjustment for this option.

Thanks again for your comments

Jay

Art wrote:

Reply to
biggy

Hey:

I own an LG 26" HDTV LCD model with the EZ SoundRite option and find it to be a useless option. It's plain crap. I get my HighDef signal off the terrestial antenna and each channel seems to have a different sound level. It's irritating, to say the least when you're channel surfing and the sound has to be adjusted as much as 10 points to keep it within tolerable levels. That's with or without the EZ SoundRite enabled. Other problems I've had with my LG is turning the unit on and not seeing a picture, only sound. That's an intermittent problem, so I can't take it in for support. Guess I won't buy another LG Television....

biggy wrote:

Reply to
michael

I own an LG 26" HDTV LCD model with the EZ SoundRite option and find it to be a useless option. It's plain crap. I get my HighDef signal off the terrestial antenna and each channel seems to have a different sound level. It's irritating, to say the least when you're channel surfing and the sound has to be adjusted as much as 10 points to keep it within tolerable levels. That's with or without the EZ SoundRite enabled. Other problems I've had with my LG is turning the unit on and not seeing a picture, only sound. That's an intermittent problem, so I can't take it in for support. Guess I won't buy another LG Television....

biggy wrote:

Reply to
Art

Michael,

Thanks for your comments.

How old is you LCD HDTV?

I just helped a friend purchase (and setup) a Sony 32" LCD HDTV. It was a display TV 8 month old on for 24 hours a day, so he a good price on it.

What I noticed when I turned it on the red power on LED came on right away but there was several seconds before we actually get a picture. I am pretty sure the power supply takes a short time to reach certain voltage level, then a relay turns on and supplies power to the audio and to the back lighting of LCD.

It sounds like to me you can actually notice a long time delay between the picture coming on and audio output. Does the time vary allot? Can you time it?

One simple suggestion I have, you could try to unplug your set from the wall. This will reset your TV to factory specifications.

If that doesn't work it could be that a component in the power supply is weak and the charging time is varying and may need replacement. I hope your set is still under warranty?

As I see it most owners usually do not notice a lot of time difference between picture and audio coming on. As for my plasma TV, yes there is a small difference between the picture and audio coming on. (Couple seconds)

Hope this helps a little?

michael wrote:

Reply to
biggy

My LCD (LG 26LX1D) is just under a year old. The problem with the display powering up happens so infrequently (2 maybe 3 times a month) it would be fruitless to bring it in to a repair depot. It would be difficult to reproduce. When it does suffer from the symptoms, I just turn it off and back on again. So far that seems to be working. Considering the unit is powered up all the time (even in standby mode it seems warm to the touch), turning it off and on again should not harm the electronics.

Unplugging it from the energy source has been done. Purposely and for weather reasons. I usually do that when we have thunderstorms in the area. Don't want to fry the motherboard. The only problem with that is, it takes forever to download the Online TV Guide data if the set is off for any length of time.

As with most minor electronic problems, I just find a workaround and deal with it. I've tried going to the LG website, hopeing to find something there that would address this and the EZ SoundRite issue. Can't imagine it would be anything more that a firmware update. Jumping in on this thread, I was hopeing that maybe someone from LG browsed these threads and could offer a solution. I'm still optimistic....

Michael

biggy wrote:

Reply to
michael

Hello Michael,

Just got my set back today, but they take it back. I turned it on and the pixels on the top left hand corner appear/disappear when there's a big change in the image or on certain colors, mostly dark areas. It's hard to describe but it looks a little bit like static. I was told they did a software upgrade but can't understand why they didn't see the results. Maybe it needs a downgrade?

My advice to you be careful sending the to back to LG service depot, they have not really solved my initial (problems) concerns but have actually created a new one.

I found this on article at this site I think you will find it very interesting. BTW I have to agree with author, I too will not purchase LG again. Hopefully these articles will help others when they consider purchasing LG products, as they say this best sales pitch is one from happy customer and its free. "BEWARE of LG"

Good Luck!

formatting link

I hope you have not purchased the LG. "Life's Good" unless you buy one of LG's products that have or develop a defect! Based on my experience with this company, they have an extremely poor customer service operation and they have no intention of satisfying their customer. As a matter of fact, it is highly likely that you will end up with a non-functioning set and will also be out your hard earned money.

I am currently the owner of a defective LG 26LX1D. I purchased the set on 8/5/2005 and after about 3 weeks, the TV started to have problems when I turned it on. Basically, I always get the sound but not always a picture (the back light does not turn on). I need to turn the TV off and on anywhere from 1 to about 20 times before the picture displays and the demo feature never worked. It has been in the repair shop 2 times for the same issues. The first time it was in the shop for 25 days and was returned without any resolution to the problem. As a matter of fact, the first time I powered it on, I got sound but no picture. As the week went on the frequency of the issue increased. I called LG's service center and asked to have the set replaced or provide me with a full refund. They would not do this and said that I had to call the repair center to have them look at the TV again. The repair center came out on 12/22/2005 and picked up the TV and as of today it is still in their possession. They are saying that they cannot duplicate the problem and that my options are for me to either go pick the set up or have them deliver it to me and if the problem still exists then they will provide me with another local service center to try to see if they can trouble shoot the issue. The supervisor that I spoke with today told me that those are my only options and that they cannot replace or refund me the money because there is nothing wrong with the set. So I offered to sell her the set for a reasonable price but she told me; "Why should I buy one when I can get it for free!". Now that's what I call service. They will give her a TV for free, but they will not replace the defective TV that I paid $1599.00 for back in Aug and can purchase today for $1165.00 and I've hardly had any use of the TV since it's been in the shop most of the time.

If you bought it, I hope you were one of the lucky ones and don't experience any problems with the TV, because I can almost guarantee you that you will not be satisfied with the level of service that you receive. One last thing, the do sound nice at first but when push comes to shove, they have your money and thats all they care about. That's not just me talking I've read other similar horror stories on consumeraffairs site where other people were left a non-functioning product and no refund.

I for one will never purchase another one of their product again. It was an expensive lesson for me and I hope I can prevent other's from having to go through the same thing.

If you would like additional details or have any questions, please let me know

michael wrote:

informed on the progress of the repair as I would

Reply to
biggy

Hey biggy:

Thanks for the article concerning my model. I knew it... That is the reason I don't ever purchase the extended warranties. Can't count on the service warranties that come with the units, let alone the sometimes, expensive extended warranties. It's not just LG. All makers of electronics contract their repair service to local repair depots. These new LCD's and Plasmas are too expensive for the manufacturers to just gloss over the problems consumers are having. Sorry to hear yours is still not well.

Thanks again, Michael

biggy wrote:

p informed on the progress of the repair as I would

Reply to
michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.